Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1997 C230 -- 1999 C280 Sport
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rather odd problem with my Bose system in my 1999 C280.

When the engine is turned on: When playing high notes, I get static from the speaker next to the driver. I tried swapping out the speaker with another one and got the same static.

When the engine is turned off: There is absolutely no static at all, speakers all sound just fine.

I have no idea what it could be...the amp? Why is it only doing it when the engine is on? What is different with the stereo system when the engine is on/off?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
im not sure exactly what is causing it, but it sounds like possibly some type of interference and something that is activated when you car is running is the culprit.

·
Registered
13 GLK350, 03 c320 wagon, 90 560sec
787 Posts
I have a rather odd problem with my Bose system in my 1999 C280.

When the engine is turned on: When playing high notes, I get static from the speaker next to the driver. I tried swapping out the speaker with another one and got the same static.

When the engine is turned off: There is absolutely no static at all, speakers all sound just fine.

I have no idea what it could be...the amp? Why is it only doing it when the engine is on? What is different with the stereo system when the engine is on/off?

Thanks for any help!
Bad amp, on my 95 it would make static on the back 2 speakers only when the car was running. Replaced the amp, it fixed the issue.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where is the amp located in my car? How easy is it to purchase a new one?

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
Bose amps are notorious for going bad at this age. Therefore, I would want a very good guarantee on anything you bought used.

There is a place in Florida (?) the has a good reputation for rebuilding these amps. Check the archives of the stereo forum here to get the name. If you are going to stick with your current Bose setup, it might be better to invest in a repair that comes with a warranty. Better the devil you know...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought an Amp on eBay and got it in today and....SAME PROBLEM! What else could it be?

·
Registered
1997 C280
231 Posts
Might be that there's some electrical interference when both the engine and the sound on. Try the audio forum they can help you out a bit better than here i think.

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,733 Posts
gle let me know if you find the problem please
Interference like this can occur when there's a bad ground connection somewhere. Additionally, corrosion on wire connections can cause this. It's a hassle to do this, but your best bet is to go through the entire audio system component by component and make sure all connections are clean and secure.

·
Registered
'94 C280 US Spec
360 Posts
I have the same problem on my car, except now I don't hear a thing.
I have an aftermarket Clarion, at times I would hear a static noise that would copy the engine revs (sounded like turbo charger spin), and now I guess it went totally dead.
My question is - is there any way to get rid of the amp but not rewire te whole car? I've already tried to connect ports on that huge amp connector, thinking that if one wire came from the radio, and the other one went to the speaker, it should work by just connecting the two, no luck though. Anyone have schematics for that connector?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A bit of a bump here, but I'm still stuck with this issue of the static. It is very annoying. Anyone have and ideas?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
This is mostlikely a Bose amplifier problem as they start to age, they are notorious for static, hissing, sometimes popping or losing sound in certain parts/channels of the car.

The amp is located on the rear, drivers side in the trunk behind the carpet type wall if you peel it back...try unplugging it and putting it back in.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have replaced the AMP, and still have the problem.

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
Its not the amps

I have replaced the AMP, and still have the problem.
Similar problem over hear with the hissing, power is run from subsystems and hits a hub right where the spare tire is. on the far corner of the battery side there is a box. Is you wiggle box a little while playing the radio you may hear the sound cut out completely or sound improve immensly. in short you have to rewire the box panel. I have yet to do that to mine but i found that to be the source of my hissing.

gle041 I still have yet to buy the radio head unit i msged you about but the info helped! I have to make sure it works with bose systems before buying this summer

·
Registered
1999 C43 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
604 Posts
i'm having catastrophic problems with my radio. i've found that it's relative to the humidity on that day. on rainy days, my radio works for a few seconds then quickly turns into static and fades out. after a while one speaker will start popping and hissing, and slowly it will clean up to where I can hear music. also, the front speakers NEVER work anymore. period.

however, my problem and your problem likely have the same culprit: the head unit. if you're savvy and have the tools/parts, swap the head unit for a test.

I know mine is related to the head unit because my leaky sunroof has soaked my entire dash about 10 times over the last several years and the radio took this long to start dying out.

I have absolutely zero interest in ever having an aftermarket radio on anything I own, so I'm going to replace it with OEM or leave it alone.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,618 Posts
Hissing sound after new Amp was installed

About two years ago after a week of heavy rain (coincidence or not) my radio's sound vanished. The Clarion radio was alive but no sound. After reading some posts I kindda knew it was the AMP and after finding out that an OEM Amp cost $1500 with no aftermarket option available I just let it be and listened to my nano!

Last week I bought a cheap, shot in the dark, salvaged Amp online. Plugged it in today and the sound is back! I now have this hissing sound in the rear speakers. Although it is tolerable I would like to know if anyone can advice me on how to eliminate that.

Does anyone know what it is and how I may be able to clean the sound? Any help is appreciated. :bowdown:

·
Registered
2001 CLK 320
57 Posts
Im having kinda the same issue like sulaco with my 01 clk 320. A rainy days my clk speakers will start popping on the dorr speakers. After the rain stops it starts to wrok fine after a couple of minutes. Now i turned on my car and all the speakers stopped working completely im having a feeling that i might have to get a new amp or something. Cant i just by a aftermarket amp at best buy and wire up the same or do i have to buy the oem amp. I am just guessing its the amp. I checked the fuses and everything looks okay. Please Help :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts