Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at installing an mp3 jukebox in my '97 s320. I really don't want to re-wire the entire system with new amps etc.. I'm okay with the factory setup. My question is: How do I feed an Aux. signal into the system? Through the CD Changer input? I do have the factory changer, so I could potentially 'fool' the system into thinking its actually playing a CD. My Question is: is that setup using normal line level analog inputs into the amp, or is it some sort of spdif digital sort of thing? does anyone know what pins I need to tap into/splice/etc to get in there? Where can I get a diagram? I really want to avoid the bogus FM thing...<br><br>
<br><br>
Thanks,<br><br>
<br><br>
-Matt<br><br>
'97 s320<br><br>
'88 300sel<br><br>
'80 6.9<br><br>
'73 450se

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is what I think

You cannot berak into the CD to Head Unit because it is a fiber optic connection. This leaves the connection between the head unit and the amplifier. You have to understand that if you do something in between the two, you are going to have to have a switch between your mp3 player and head unit. In addition, you are going to lose the volume control capabilities between from the head unit.<br> Email me for more info: [email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the 97 model you do still have the hard wired changer. You might be able to add a two channel audio switch to the CD cable, then select CD, and switch between CD audio and MP3 audio.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,<br> <br> mercedes uses standard called D2B. It has<br> nothing to do with SPDIF. It consists of<br> 3 signals - two of them transported on<br> fiber optics (D2B in and D2B out) and<br> one on the copper wire ('wake up' signal).<br> All devices are connected into a sort of<br> ring. I have all the schematics but i feel<br> that you will find them not very useful.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Bose Amp Pin-outs.

And yeah, my schemas are dated 1998, so<br> there is a chance that MY97 uses normal<br> line inputs.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your system is non-fiber, you could possibly "fool" the system. Again what type of radio is it?

Is it similar to the ones on the 87 E -class?<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you connect new amps into this fiber ring?

Is the head unit, CD changer, factory amp, etc all connected in a ring or a serial fashion?<br> If everything is in a ring, then I assume I can add a fiber optic Becker amp from the output of the CD changer? Then I would run fiber back to the head unit (or to the original factory amp) from the new amp?<br> <br> How many things can I connect in the ring - is there a limit???<br> <br> Where do I get lengths of these fiber optic cables? <br> <br> Thanks,<br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: How do you connect new amps into this fiber ring?

There comes a set of fiber optic cables with every Energy 250. If you install it close to the changer you may get by with the 3' length. All fiber optic components are connected in series.<br> MB recommends maintaining sequence of fiber optic connections. <br> Radio<br> Sound System<br> CD Changer<br> Phone<br> Voice Recognition<br> Tele Aid<br> Radio<br> Ignore missing components and connect to next item. <br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fiber optic connections, cable length limit?

Since the sequence starts and ends with the Radio, it really is an actual 'ring' connection, right? <br> <br> Horst, the 'Sound System' are the amps in your example, correct? The C-class has the Command system so I will connect: Command/radio - New Becker amp1 - New Becker amp2 - CD Changer - Phone - Voice - TeleAid - back to Command/radio. Sound right? <br> * Is there a limit to total components? <br> * 2 new amps OK? <br> * So the amps go between the Command and the CD changer? This makes it easy since CD Changer is in the glove box. <br> * Is there a limit to the fiber optic cable lengths?<br> Where can I get long lengths (12-15 feet) of fiber cables to mount the amps in the trunk? Thank you!<br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The S-class and new C-class use fiber optic as a preamp line...

according to Horst, the Becker expert. I am working on adding 2 amps to a new C-class (replacing the original in the 10-speaker Bose system with Command and CD-changer). <br> <br> Joe - have you heard that the new C-class does not use fiber optic cabling from the head unit to the amps?<br> <br> thx,<br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: How do you connect new amps into this fiber ring?

Ring is a ring - you cut it in the middle and<br> drop in a new device. I don't know anything<br> about limitations on device number. However,<br> i know that order of these does matter (i read<br> in the docs that changer is always to be first<br> after head unit). Ring has two fibers, RX and<br> TX (plus copper wire for wake up function).<br> I know that with factory-supplied changer<br> upgrade options they supply pieces of fibers<br> with crimped connectors - ready touse.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If pre-amp cable is fiber...

If the pre-amp cabling is fiber, then the stereo you have is the most advanced system available anywhere. <br> <br> True, the connection from CD changer to head unit is fiber (Alpine uses this type of connection), but there is not a manufacturer that I know of that makes an all digital amplifier. In fact, I think only Meridian for home and theater makes a truly digital amplifier.<br> <br> If it is truly digital fiber optics going from the head unit to the amp (not the changer), post the pictures so we can all see.<br> <br> I do not mean to sound negative, but I was told by many that my factory Bose system could not be upgraded. If I had beleived the dealer and the local stereo shops, I would not have researched and figured out a way to do it. I would suggest keeping the head unit (probably Becker or Alpine OEM) and the Changer (probably Alpine OEM), and change your amp and speakers. You will not beleive the detail and clarity over the Bose P.O.S. You drive the best car, it should have the best sound system.<br> <br> Good luck

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with Matt 100% ...I was "feared into" beleiving I could not get better sound

but right now my Phoenix Gold / CDT setups sounds great....pretty close to my B&W/Denon system at home

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WARNING - do not mess with the fibre ring if U have teleaid [+more info inside]

The fibre ring is a standard called D2B - standard was made by a bunch of manafactures (becker, panasonic and one I cant remember), and allows devices on the ring to send control data to each other and audio data.<br> <br> It was introduced on MB in MY1998, and used to connect <br> Head-Unit, CD, Phone, Voice Control, Teleaid<br> (and 2nd phone in some S classes)<br> <br> Around MY2000 (may have been earlier), the BOSE amp also became connected to this ring on S class and CL, the MY2002 ML also has this, which seems to be known as the 'digital bose system' as oppose to the 'analogue ...'<br> <br> This means that the audio is shipped round the optical ring direct to the amplifier, which is only connected to D2B ring, power, speakers and wake-up. Before, the speaker outlets on the head-unit connected to the bose-amp<br> <br> The wake-up signal is a mechanism that means all the control units can turn 'almost' off (and stop using power) when the car is off, but can be woken up if the phone rings, or the head unit is turned on etc etc. The fibre ring is essentially a single fibre ring, ie one of those cables is 'in' and one is 'out'<br> <br> If you add/remove stuff from the ring, the head-unit needs to be told where things are - via the diagnostic tester that dealers have.<br> <br> NOW, because this is a ring, and Teleaid is connected - you must be very careful with fiddling with it .....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fiber optic device programming and H/U amp outputs...

I am looking into purchasing 2 fiber optic Becker amps to add into the ring of a Cclass. Horst Becker mentioned that I can add 2 amps to the ring. <br> <br> But when I do this install myself, are you saying that I need to go to the dealer to have the Command head unit programmed for the new devices in the ring??? Sounds like each device is assigned an ID! <br> <br> Does the head units of the S and C class have internal amps in addition to the Bose amp? If so, how can we be sure that the fiber optics truely bypass the internal head-unit amplification like RCA preamp outputs? I don't want to buy 2 new fiber optic amps only to find out that the H/U amp signal is feeding the fiber optic outputs (before the A/D converter)!<br> <br> Thanks,<br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: WARNING - do not mess with the fibre ring if U have teleaid [+more info inside]

Luckily, My car is pre-fiber optic ring.<br> <br> If I had one, Here's what I would do.<br> <br> I would replace the factory head unit with a better quality unit so I didn't have to mess with all this Becker fiber-optic amp BS. <br> <br> I would then run the fiber-optics to under the front passenger seat and place the factory head unit under there. (wrap it in some protective casing so it does not get damaged) It would still be in the ring and would not mess up the tele-aid.<br> <br> When you sell the car, just move it back.<br> <br> Seems simple

1 - 20 of 20 Posts