Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a "Night Run" a few weeks ago, I cracked my Bosch Fog light lens when it dipped underwater. This past weekend, I traveled a similar trail in Ocala National Forest at night. Needless to say, it finished them off (shattered).

Today, I replaced the Bosch Amber Fog Lights (55w) with PIAA 520 Series Fog Lights (85w).

Observations:
Bosch Fog Lights (55w): I really liked the Bosch Fog Lights. The amber color was very consistant from any angle. I also think that the fog "beam" was wider than the PIAA Fog Lights. Unfortunatly, when the lenses splashed underwater, they cracked. Nobody had replacement lenses. Europa was able to find them direct from Germany (after all they installed them in the first place), but I would have to purchase an entire new pair. I could not get the lenses alone or any other parts.

PIAA 520 Fog Lights (85w): I'm really impressed with how bright they are! The amber color is not consistant from edge to edge. It varies in color density and seems to turn white instead of amber on the outer edges. The beam is more "refined", but does not seem as wide. I have not gotten them wet yet, so I don't know if they'll crack under pressure. [;)]
I can find PIAA parts anywhere!

I travel alot at night and often use my fog lights for the extra coverage. The Bosch lights worked great. I'm afraid that the PIAA's might be too bright to use on the highway. I'm afraid that I might blind someone by accident. Off-road, I would pick the PIAA for sure.

Chuck

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
I have the PIAA 580's on my truck. I used them tonight actually and went under some water after having them on for a while, they held up really well. No cracking or problems with them. They seem pretty water tight as well, and BRIGHT as heck, but then again I have the pencil beams.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BrentG500 - 3/24/2005 1:15 AM

You didn't try the Hella Rallye Series lights?
When I taled to the guys here, they said that they've had the same problems with the lens cracking. To prove it, the Hella Running Lights on my truck are both cracked! I am looking to replace them too.

Chuck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts