Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow w202 owners!

My ‘98 C280 is at about 71k miles and I’m sure the spark plugs are needing to be replaced. Got the car with 53k about 3 years ago and it definitely doesn’t have the same power as before.

I’ve read other threads explaining that the Bosch Copper Plugs are best but can anyone help me out with a link on where to buy them? I can’t find them anywhere only other brands offering coppers. Not sure if I should just get the plats from Bosch if the coppers are no longer available

If not what would be the next best option?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I would not be scared at all to use a brand such as NGK, autolite, or champion if you cannot get the Bosch, especially if you are just getting copper plugs. The platinums will work fine as well. Dont waste your money on super expensive plugs though, you wont notice much difference other than the platinums are good for 100,000 or more, and the coppers will not be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would not be scared at all to use a brand such as NGK, autolite, or champion if you cannot get the Bosch, especially if you are just getting copper plugs. The platinums will work fine as well. Dont waste your money on super expensive plugs though, you wont notice much difference other than the platinums are good for 100,000 or more, and the coppers will not be.

Cool thanks! I’ll take a deeper look into those other brands and make a decision from there 👍

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,077 Posts
Move over to Beru .
+ 1, hard to find in US though. BERU has been taken over by a big multinational a few years ago, and while quality reportedly is slightly down, it's still quite good.

Btw, I am German but when it comes to ignition wires, but since someone measured resistance and found it all over the place on a new set out, I stay away from Bosch. I had good experiences with Karlyn/STI, which btw is the same as Bremi Germany (they used to have Beru booths).
Beru used to be the gold standard.

As far as Bosch plugs go, I still have a source for non resistor W9DCO and H9DCO. Contrary to popular believe, they must still be made in small batches.
Same Boch plugs, I had bad experiences with made in India, but made in Poland, Czech Republic and Poland was good.
Last time I scored some NOS made in Germany :grin

·
Registered
356 Posts
Try to get all your parts from FCPEuro.com. They have one of the best prices and everything has lifetime warranty. Once you get a part from them, you will never have to pay for it again, even for normal wear items like filters and spark plugs. I have used them and they have come true on their lifetime warranty including air filters and wiper blades.

If FCPEuro does not have what you need, try https://www.autohausaz.com/. They are another very good and reliable source for high quality parts with excellent customer service

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,077 Posts
Try to get all your parts from FCPEuro.com. They have one of the best prices and everything has lifetime warranty. Once you get a part from them, you will never have to pay for it again, even for normal wear items like filters and spark plugs. I have used them and they have come true on their lifetime warranty including air filters and wiper blades.

If FCPEuro does not have what you need, try https://www.autohausaz.com/. They are another very good and reliable source for high quality parts with excellent customer service
Agree with all. I have ordered from them several times. The only thing I don't like are the deceptive pro rated shipping charges, where they artificially inflate the time it takes if your order is within the free ground shipping amount of min $49.
Make sure you don't pull the trigger before you have specified shipping and/or any promo discounts, or you'll be out of luck.
I believe they are located in Connecticut, and I was quoted 10-14 days for ground shipping to L.A. Well, two parts of my order arrived within 2 days, from almost local warehouses in Culver City and Ontario.
During the last bad East Coast weather, some items shipped from there took a long time, and autohausaz would have been quicker.

In case you didn't know, vendors get a 30-40% kickback at the end of every month from shipping companies, and some may actually make a good chunk of their money from shipping charges.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Consider using what was OEM in you car. Resistance and material matters since the new fancy ones will be different and the engine was as not designed for future innovations. For mine I stick to the OEM Bosch and they have worked well. Tired the fancy ones here and there over the years, and most worked fine no difference, but definitely did notice issues with the iridium ones. So stick to OEM.

As for buying them, if you don't meet the shipping mins you are better off paying a bit more and buying them on ebay or amazon. Still can be cheaper than paying $5-10 in shipping fees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
MB-W202
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing