Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300E, 2003 996 Turbo X50
624 Posts
Use standard copper plugs in your car. No benefit to be had from platinum, in fact some say they're detrimental.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,744 Posts
You have two choices for plugs that meet OEM specs

NGK BP6EFS Denso T20EP-U

The ignition system in your car calls for pure copper, non-resistor plugs...period

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
93 300E 2.8, 79 450 SLC
539 Posts
When I bought my car, the last owner had Bosch platinum plugs in it. It was running fine with the P-plugs. After 10k miles, I switched to the recommend copper plugs.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300E 2.8 160K miles
15 Posts
Platinum Bosch Suck!

Had a '81 450SLC, previous owner switched to platinum. Went to tune up the car & the ceramics pulled out of the base of 2 plugs upon removal. Switched to original copper spec, problem solved. It's copper for me, for sure! Tracy

·
Registered
1977 230, 1990 300E 2.6
243 Posts
Mercedes did not/does not recommend resistor plugs for these ignition systems. Many have used them but, IMHO, it is best to stick with the non-resistor type. The plug wire end caps have a resistor built into them. When you add a resistor-type plug, you are, in effect, doubling the resistor effect. Our ignition systems are not the high energy type so adding an additional resistor may slightly weaken the spark. Another factor, and possibly more important, is that the resistor-type plugs have a very fine center electrode wire and it is thought that during higher RPMs there may actually be some spark disruption - almost like "blow out". There are other choices in non-resistor plugs to those listed above. I am using Nology Silver G4YS plugs in my '90 W124 2.6. These plugs are more costly but are an excellent choice for our older ignition systems. Google "Nology" and check out what they have to say about spark plugs.

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
I am using Nology Silver G4YS plugs in my '90 W124 2.6. These plugs are more costly but are an excellent choice for our older ignition systems. Google "Nology" and check out what they have to say about spark plugs.
Nology G4YS plugs were originally rebranded Beru S1K's which are no longer made by Beru.
They are a heavy silver electrode which covers multiple heat ranges.

I picked up a dozen Beru S1K's which eventually will be installed in place of the NGK BP6EFS in my M103-TT.
I'll also use them with a Nology coil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts