Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190E 2.6
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard it said that Bosch oil filters purchased from Autozone or any of the other major discounters are inferior to those purchased from an MB dealer. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I do know for a fact that large distributors such as Home Depot or Lowes can and do dictate spec changes for many of the tools (e.g., Black & Decker) they carry and can do so because of the sheer volume fo tool sales they do. Given that, it is certainly possible for auto part distributors to do it doo.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I’m certainly not going to buy them from the dealer.[:0][xx(] I bought a Bosch fuel filter from Autohaus Arizona and according to them it shipped directly from Bosch. The box the filter came in appeared to have come from Bosch, the filter itself seemed authentic – I have no reason to not believe it’s quality OEM.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
Is Bosch now an OEM supplier of filters for new Mercedes? They never were in the past. It's always been Hengst, Mann and Knecht. I will only use a filter that was supplied as OE from the factory. No Frams, Purolators or anyhting like that from the McParts stores. Some don't have the antidrain back valves. Some are cheap imitaitons, etc. I also can usually get OE filters for less than those others anyway and I'm pretty sure of their quality.

Len

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
Unless something has changed recently, Bosch doesn't manufacture either oil or air filters. They have and still may contract with one or more manufacturers of such -- quality is/was very poor. Bottom line -- these are crappy filters wrapped in Bosch boxes. Avoid them like the plague. OTOH, Bosch is an OEM supplier of fuel filters.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I do know Bosch makes the spin on oil filter for the M103, something tells me to avoid it, though – I opt for the Knecht.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts