Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Bosch group 49 AGM battery on Nov 18, 2017. this battery has a no cost replacement warranty for 4 years. On Nov 18, 2019, I went out to warm up my 06—E320, unlocked the car, went to start it and click click click. Nothing was left on. My jump pack would not start the vehicle, but it has in the past (Sept, Oct 2017) several times without an issue, there was 5 volts on the battery. Got a free replacement from PEP BOYS, they are no longer going to carry Bosch batteries, he stated too many returns on the Bosch. Pep Boys is now going to sell Champion brand, but they didn‘t carry group 49 yet. The new battery has been in one week, no problems of mysterious draining so far.

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,434 Posts
Bosch doesn't make it's own batteries in North America. They are made by the lowest bidder subcontractor, usually in Mexico.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,349 Posts
I lucked and bought $105 Bosch battery with 96 months warranty a year ago.
Frankly I don't expect it to last 96 months, but I gladly will take remaining value in cash. Did the same with Kirkland battery few years ago, when 100 months battery died after 50 months.
Than if you feel lucky - shop at FCP Euro. They offer lifetime warranty, but that's the Ponzi scheme.
Take your pick.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I lucked and bought $105 Bosch battery with 96 months warranty a year ago.
Frankly I don't expect it to last 96 months, but I gladly will take remaining value in cash. Did the same with Kirkland battery few years ago, when 100 months battery died after 50 months.
Than if you feel lucky - shop at FCP Euro. They offer lifetime warranty, but that's the Ponzi scheme.
Take your pick.
That Bosch G49 must weight 60 lbs, I bet return shipping isnt cheap.

·
Registered
36,349 Posts
Bosch doesn't make it's own batteries in North America. They are made by the lowest bidder subcontractor, usually in Mexico.
I flip the flooded Bosch, who died on me at 6 years of age and there is no "Made in" on it. Only "Distributed by XYZ in Illinois"
The aux AGM Mercedes battery that died at 4 years is made in Thailand.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
897 Posts
Bosch is made by Exide which is one of the worst battery makers of the big 3 battery makers. Champion is JCI. Pepboys is actually doing a black friday sale, 35% off and a $50 rebate on the Champion battery.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Since pepboys is no longer selling the Bosch battery, it will be either a refund or swap with a Champion battery (made in Mexico). WalMart’s H7 and H8 AGM battery may be a US made one (Eastern Penn?) for $140 but not very available. But can’t beat $80 Black Friday Pepboys as said above.

·
Registered
36,349 Posts
It become standard in most places in US, that in case of warranty issue, they will issue you cash refund and then you can use it any way you want.
I replaced palm tree at Home Depot and since time I bought it, the price went from $99 to 120, so I wanted plant replacement. Took me like 20 minutes with 3 associates working on computer to process it and finally they just gave me new plant with no new receipt.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I installed a Bosch group 49 AGM battery on Nov 18, 2017. this battery has a no cost replacement warranty for 4 years. On Nov 18, 2019, I went out to warm up my 06—E320, unlocked the car, went to start it and click click click. Nothing was left on. My jump pack would not start the vehicle, but it has in the past (Sept, Oct 2017) several times without an issue, there was 5 volts on the battery. Got a free replacement from PEP BOYS, they are no longer going to carry Bosch batteries, he stated too many returns on the Bosch. Pep Boys is now going to sell Champion brand, but they didn‘t carry group 49 yet. The new battery has been in one week, no problems of mysterious draining so far.
The BCI# 49 is an H8. BCI# 48 is H6, BCI# 94R H7 Pepboys has Champion AGM H8 H7 and H6 that are used in MBZ (as of Nov 2019 when order on-line for store pick up). The google with Champion AGM (battery size) pepboys is more reliable for the search than doing a search on the pepboys site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Take your pick.
Explain the Ponzi scheme? I bought brake pads - used them until about 80% worn. Bought replacements and returned the worn pads and received 100% refund. $8 shipping.

·
Registered
897 Posts
So who do you think paid for you 2nd set of pads?
He did. They actually charge a little more than most other places. You can get OEM parts from an MB dealer cheaper than you can from FCPeuro. FCPeuro is good for aftermarket parts and suppliers of OEM parts to MB. Only a certain percentage of parts will be returned for credit. People only keep their cars for 5-7 years. In that time period the replacement part might not go bad and they might get rid of the car before they have a warranty claim. It's just like buying an extended warranty. The premium in this case is the slightly higher cost of the initial part.

·
Registered
897 Posts
So who will pay for 3rd set of pads when he wears out the 2nd?
I only wish FCP would sell toilet paper.
I don't think you understand business. Their business model is that a certain percentage of people will return the parts for a new one. The percentage of people who return for a 3rd set of pads are even lower than the ones who do a 2nd because the chances are higher that they won't even own their car anymore. It's like restaurants. If 100% of the people didn't like the food and had it redone, they would quickly go out of business. But that doesn't happen. It's basically like insurance. If everyone had a claim, they'd all go out of business quickly. They just know what the claims will be and allocate a certain percentage of their budget toward claims. They have to charge a little more so they have the budget for claims. They also only carry certain parts that are good. I don't see them stocking cheaper parts that Rockauto carries.

·
Registered
36,349 Posts
We have to agree to disagree.
I do understand business, I do understand charity and I do understand Ponzi scheme.
They might look similar at the beginning, but quite different at the end.
Talking about FCP, I bought aux battery from them as those usually die in 2-3 years and I hope to get 2nd before they go out of business.
Their free oil changes are tempting too, but too much hassle of mailing used oil back to them.

·
Registered
897 Posts
You've failed to state your case. I'm well aware of how a ponzi scheme works too. You pay out more money to investors than what you take in. Try understanding what it really is so you know the distinction between a ponzi scheme what could just be a bad business decision. They've been doing the lifetime warranty for over 6 years at this point.

Also keep in mind that many parts already come with a lifetime warranty. Rockauto also sells lots of parts with lifetime warranties and I've also taken them up on their coverage before too. Certain lines like Moog, Monroe always had lifetime warranties.

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,434 Posts
The whole FCP replacement guarantee (its not a warranty, big difference) is BULL SHIT and I pretty much stopped doing business with them when they began that model. My friend bought a dual mass flywheel and clutch kit from FCP which he replaced. For whatever reason once it was installed the clutch pedal wouldn't move. Its a weird self adjusting pressure plate and for whatever reason it wasn't working. What does he do? Send it back to FCP all the way cross country, order another and wait for reimbursement that might or might not come depending on whether they decide its a manufacturing defect or user error? Fuck that, Amazon sells the same part with 2 day shipping, install it works perfectly, and he returns the defective FCP clutch to amazon. FCP and other small boutique retailers like them are obsolete. Their guarantee is a gimmick at best.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I haven’t purchased any expensive parts from them. Never rearmed of sending back old air or oil filters, drain plugs. Used oil may be hazardous material shopping. Heavy item shipping is too costly too. Locals who drop it off benefits. They did give great advise on a false MAF code and proper sensor that was causing the problem.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts