Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just rambling here and sharing my car joy. Took this pic earlier, it was making me feel happy to look at my bevvy of beauties. I never thought I'd have a stable like this, how luck am I! :)

Obviously the Bentley isn't mine, but one can dream.. Its the one I drive regularly for chauffering, and this weekend I've had it all weekend. What a car, I am totally in love, and have been ever since I first saw it, let along drove it. I love the times when I have it for a while, its pure car joy for me, automotive heaven. Is it bad that I am so pleased by something that is just a car? Lol.

But I love them all, the SE is silky smooth and gorgeous, and feels like its carved of solid steel.
The SEC the same but I just love the lines of it and the way it feels more beasty. If I'm honest, the SE is a smoother ride than the Bentley really, and much faster, plus it handles on the corners.
But then the Bentley is nearly 50 years old, and its still a very sublime experience as it floats along. Its a real torquey car, a 6.3 V8 with proper waftability. They never published the figures, but I bet the torque is very high, it definitely feels it. The revs just stay so low, even up hills it just glides. I'm the only driver who opens it up at all, if there is no traffic I will cruise at 100 - 110mph every now and then, which is pretty awesome thundering along in a car like that. Its very stable at speed just as long as it isn't windy! (Its quite scary when its windy!)
And because of the torque I guess, it has acceleration where lesser cars dont, which is quite funny, hehe.

And my little Citroen, aww :)

I'm pretty up on all the maintenance and little jobs that my three need too so that's quite a nice feeling.

Attachments

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
No problem. love seeing other cars. Bored? Me too this weekend, but I did get to see a lot of the Mechum Auto Auction in Northern CA on the tube. Some nice exotics there!

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen good ones at £129,000. This one wouldnt cost that much though, you can get them for £20,000 I think.

I'd hate the maintenance on it though. Reading the owners manual is an eye opener, its got so many things that need servicing a lot, everything about its workings is different to any other car. For example even the climate fans need to come out for servicing every 2 years, there are 3 of them and they are buried deep down in the front of the car. That was the way of cars back then though wasn't it.
My Citroen is very simple but there are various parts that you need to be greasing regularly or wear sets in very quick .

At a motor museum recently I saw an old Austin 7 from the 20's,the wheel bearing had to be greased every journey! Wow..

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Love that Citroen! Love it!

Oh and the Bentley too!

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Years ago I was a postie and I would drive to work to pick up my letters for the day at 5 in the morning
My dd at that time was a w108 250se and I got great pleasure thumping along at 100mph in a car most people would never drive in anger :)
If i was to own an older bentley I would have to go the Franay bodied one with the Filipino frog skin upholstery :)

·
Registered
'95 993 / 2011 F150 Raptor SC / Land Cruiser D4D V8 / 500 SEC
439 Posts
Hey Ian,

I've been staring at your piture and there's only one possible conclusion :

I need an SEL to put next to my SEC :thumbsup:

As of now, I'm open to offers on a 199 SEL with 275A interior !

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Joe, W108 250se? Lucky you, I was thinking the other day how much I would so badly love one of those in my collection. I had wondered if I sold both of my 126's, if I could afford a nice one. But the 126 is so useable, I couldn't do it. This 300SE coupe has been on my lust-list for a while, its just beautiful. It was on for £45,000 though.

MERCEDES BENZ 300 SE COUPE W112 1965 | eBay

That Franay Bentley is quite something isnt it. If I could pick any older Bentley or Rolls, I have always lusted after the RR sports saloons of the 30's like this Phantom Continental 2 Continental by Barker. What a car, especially in black with the solid wheel covers, its like some amazing automotive sculpture. I would love to drive that down the empty roads at 100mph. Amazing it would go that fast too really.

Rolls-Royce Phantom 2 continental by Barker | eBay

Peter, you are not wrong, it seemed ridiculous getting an SEC when I already had an SE, but they make a great pair, the coupé is surprisingly different to the saloon in many ways and its great having both.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love that Citroen! Love it!

Oh and the Bentley too!
Thank Mike. Had that little thing for 14 years now, its like a reassuring old friend. 602cc flat twin engine. Its very funny, got a road race manifold on it and a few other little things, probably I get about 32hp, up from the original 29hp :)

The other great thing about it is the fact it has a proper chassis. I took the body off it a long time ago and put it on a new galvanised chassis. You'd think that's be a big job, but not really, lol. Working on it is funny but its a very clever piece of minimalist engineering.

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
How did I miss this post? What a great selection at your disposal. I guess you will need to beef up security now if your stable can be seen from the street.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Security, yeah I didn't even put my SE there for ages but then I missed looking at it. All we have is security lights, I was pretty paranoid for a while but I think it should be okay. The Bentley is covered up when at mine and so is the SE sometimes.
The SE is tucked behind the other car because its super outrageously shiny, and it stands out like a sore thumb. Not much more I can do unfortunately.

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
Lovely collection Ian.

I recall visiting my grandparents in the 60's in the UK and loving their cars, my grandmother drove a 420G and my grandfather a Bentley, and as we were living in the US at the time, being impressed at how much more 'lounge' like, and less utilitarian the cars in the UK were.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts