Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
getting the "Please close boot partition/skibag" message seems to be very common. Seems the partition strut is often the culprit but it is working fine on my car I can hear the switch click. Whenever I get this message I've pulled the compartment back and forth and usually it goes away at some point.

However, yesterday, I got this message during the close (cover was on but the back window was not yet down) - and in this case you cannot really do anything as the boot does not open! I did light "rattling" on the back cover and window, powered off and eventually got it to close. However, would not like to experience this on the road again.

Thus:
  • is the left side switch the only one causing this or are there more switches to check? I guess it's either the switch or a cabling fault
  • is there a way to "force" the top to close, i.e. bypass this switch by some trick in my case. Normal manual close is not possible as you don't get to the pump as the trunk doesn't open....
  • is there a safe way to "debug" the switch ? Can I just put an "ohm-meter" or will that break some electronics...?

Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
I was seeing the same error at random, I ended up gluing a bit of plastic on the switch to reduce the distance to the partition. Finally I just replaced mlthe struts this winter and the issue has gone away, they're only 50 quid from the dealer so it's worth doing while they're cheap. 馃憣馃憤

Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
There is only one switch, on the left side, for the partition. If you have the ski boot, then there is also a switch in it, and it is wired in series with the partition switch.

Are you sure the Lift-O-Mat struts on the partition are good? As they age and the gas leaks from them, they will still work, but won't hold tightly enough so that the partition stays against the switches when you begin to operate the top. It should take a good bit of pull and push to operate the partition - several pounds of force. If you can push it open with one finger, replace the struts.

Reactions: miko1aj

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is only one switch, on the left side, for the partition. If you have the ski boot, then there is also a switch in it, and it is wired in series with the partition switch.

Are you sure the Lift-O-Mat struts on the partition are good? As they age and the gas leaks from them, they will still work, but won't hold tightly enough so that the partition stays against the switches when you begin to operate the top. It should take a good bit of pull and push to operate the partition - several pounds of force. If you can push it open with one finger, replace the struts.
I don't have anything to compare with but in my opinion it does push it firmly and I can hear the click from the switch when it (by itself) pushes outward.
I'm currently more worried that I may have a cabling issues, as this happened when I was closing the roof - and got this message when the operation was 80% through - and there's no way to get to the trunk while the cover is not fully closed - thus emergency closing will not be possible either....

So there is no "I know what I'm doing" trick to override the switch info in this case?
Or some way I could check the cable doesn't have issues?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question: I have once tried to open the roof with the remote controller - it started opening the roof but as it was raining, I stopped and closed the roof back. However, since then the remote doesn't work anymore, not closing, not opening. It does open and close the locks normally, though.

Registered
Harald, I'm 95% confident your struts are not holding the pressure as thats how this issue manifests itself - you can get the error any time while opening the roof, same happened to me a couple of times. You can actually just remove one or both liftomats and test them by pushing the rod by hand - if it goes in easily and doesn't spring back you'll need a new one. It's a 10 min job to swap them. If your struts are fine you can then troubleshoot further.

Another question: I have once tried to open the roof with the remote controller - it started opening the roof but as it was raining, I stopped and closed the roof back. However, since then the remote doesn't work anymore, not closing, not opening. It does open and close the locks normally, though.
The IR sensors in the door handles are notoriously finicky and seem to just stop working over time. Spend the money and get this:

It will be the best $350 you've ever spent on your car. Besides using the more reliable and longer range RF interface to remotely operate the top, you get one-touch operation, operation while moving, and continued operation after shutting down the engine and leaving the car.

Harald, I'm 95% confident your struts are not holding the pressure as thats how this issue manifests itself - you can get the error any time while opening the roof, same happened to me a couple of times. You can actually just remove one or both liftomats and test them by pushing the rod by hand - if it goes in easily and doesn't spring back you'll need a new one. It's a 10 min job to swap them. If your struts are fine you can then troubleshoot further.

I have to second this. I believe it's your problem. Even though it may feel locked in place and you hear the switch actuate, it may be just "not quite tight enough" so that when the top folds against it, it moves away slightly and release the switch. The only other thing to check is make sure that the pin on the left end of the partition isn't broken so that it is securely operating the switch.

Reactions: miko1aj

Registered
2009 CLK350 Cabriolet
Hi,
getting the "Please close boot partition/skibag" message seems to be very common. Seems the partition strut is often the culprit but it is working fine on my car I can hear the switch click. Whenever I get this message I've pulled the compartment back and forth and usually it goes away at some point.

However, yesterday, I got this message during the close (cover was on but the back window was not yet down) - and in this case you cannot really do anything as the boot does not open! I did light "rattling" on the back cover and window, powered off and eventually got it to close. However, would not like to experience this on the road again.

Thus:
  • is the left side switch the only one causing this or are there more switches to check? I guess it's either the switch or a cabling fault
  • is there a way to "force" the top to close, i.e. bypass this switch by some trick in my case. Normal manual close is not possible as you don't get to the pump as the trunk doesn't open....
  • is there a safe way to "debug" the switch ? Can I just put an "ohm-meter" or will that break some electronics...?
I had the same issue. It was Similar to you when moving it by hand, it seemed well positioned. The message became more and more frequent over time. Resolved by changing the struts. They would move from the vibration of the roof moving and thus trigger the message. I also was getting it if I had driven very far.

Registered
'04 CLK500 Cabrio, '73 350SE, '00 ML320, '86 230E
I had the exact same symptoms, and it turned out to be weak struts. New ones are noticeably firm!

Registered
CLK320 Cabrio (A209) & E220 CDi SE Business (S212)
I was seeing the same error at random, I ended up gluing a bit of plastic on the switch to reduce the distance to the partition. Finally I just replaced mlthe struts this winter and the issue has gone away, they're only 50 quid from the dealer so it's worth doing while they're cheap. 馃憣馃憤
I don't suppose you have the part numbers for these struts as I have exactly the same problem with the roof refusing to lower despite the boot partition being in place?

Registered
Yep, as Rudeney mentioned - and the part number is printed on the strut itself, mine were made by Stabilus of whom I didn't hear before as MB supplier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts