Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

boot handle

2129 Views 12 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  aristotled
Is there a way to reset the black boot lid handle on my 1995 S500 Limousine as when i close the boot lid the vaccum works fine and closes the boot and retracts the handle, however after a short period of time (not sure how long as i have never stood to watch)the black handle is ejected out and does this constantly without fail. I sometimes hear both pumps "whir" every now and then when i am driving and i reset the door closure pump about once a month as the driver door closure fails every now and then and have repaired a pipe in the central locking pump when the central locking stopped working, both of these were done ages ago though. The boot lid handle retracting and then coming out slowly has only just started.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
S500 Limousine
11 Posts
I too have a S500 Limo and I too also have exactly the same problems - thank God I'm not alone!

You mentioned you reset the door closure pump once a month - how do you do this as my drivers door also fails very occasionally?

I have posted a question regarding the headlamp wiper on another thread in the hope of a response - have you found anything out yet?

With regards to the boot handle problem, mine decides to make an appearance when it shouldn't. The automatic closure works fine when I shut the boot and the handle retracts - great, but I'll continue on my journey and when I get out again, there it is!

It is somewhat annoying as it spoils the clean lines of the boot when your driving along.

Help (anybody) - I know these are only minor problems, but there driving me nuts! - that is until I take it for a spin and then I just can't help forgive it for my mental state!!!

· Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,885 Posts
The handle is driven off the "locking pump", and the closing assist is driven off the pump over the wheel in the trunk. There was a service bulletin that showed how to tie the handle to the "closing assist pump" it included putting in a "y" and plugging a hose.
You would hear both pumps running, when closing the trunk lid. The closing "assist pump" is prone to fail, I am on my second in a 95 car. The locking pump has not failed yet, it controls lumbar, back up rods, HV/support, some vacum headrests, and of course lock/unlock of doors, lid, and gas flap.
If the handle does not "latch" due to a shorfall of vacuum or leak it will extend as the pump stops.
The "close assist" pump is the culprit when the doors dont pull in, there have been some posts about opening and increasing the sensing adjustment, there also have been some post about a "hose" being defectice and allowing lekage in 95 and laster. There was a service bulletin about that also.

· Registered
S500 Limousine
11 Posts
Thanks for your help Peter - Where is the 'locking' pump located?

Also I have searched the forums for the'senitivity' adjustment you mentioned regarding the auto-closure, but I can't find anything - and it is something else that needs attending to - do you have any ideas how to do it?

Thanks - Paul

· Registered
3,885 Posts
The "handle" pump is under the passenger rear seat in a foam container, if it has not been modified.
There was a fellow who was very handy who took the "closing pump" apart and by tinkering with the sensitivity of the shut off switch got his to work. If you look at the doors or trunk they will pull in and then relax just a slight amount as the lock catches.The next time the door is opened the diaphram snaps into position ready to pull in the door. This adjustment is dangerous since mis-ajustment could damage the diaphrams and could result in even bigger expenses. The lock pump is going for approximately $350, the closing pump is in the high $600 The pumps either shut off after a pre-dermined time or when it get a signal from the latch that the door is closed.
The specs for the "locking pump" provides vacuum and pressure at 560-620 bar and a 10 second safety switch time with leaks in the system, or 60 seconds with leaks in the individual consumers. Again the pump controls central lock, backup assist (if you have them), the handle, headrest on some cars without the electric rear seat, orthopedic backrest, and manifold vacuum assist. The pump can be heard if the engine is off and you change the settings on the HVAC, backrest.The pump gets its electrical input from the infra red,ATA, and some othe items I cant confirm a 21 pin connector and two 6 pin connectors
Pulling the fuses sometimes resets them but....

· Registered
S500 Limousine
11 Posts
Thanks for your time Peter - most appreciated.

Just one question - If the boot handle appears to be working fine i.e. comes out when you press in the boot lock and then retracts when you shut it. Why does it pop back down at different time periods.

If I had a leak then you would think it would take a similar amout of time everytime to release the handle, but sometimes it will stay up for days then release, other times just a few hours??

· Registered
S500 Limousine
11 Posts
Peter - sorry to go off on a tangent, but can you tell me where the hydraulic fluid resevoir is located in respect of the self-levelling rear suspension.

I seem to have the start of a 'bouncy' rear-end (oo'er)! and I believe that there is a resevoir that feeds this system, but where do I find it?

Thanks

· Registered
3,885 Posts
OK, It is under the hood under a little door between the headlamp and the front wheel(drivers side). It has a dipstick so you can check the level. If the car is bouncey in the rear, and fluid is low, the culprit is probably the accumulators. Not an expensive, but messy job. Only use MB fluid!

· Registered
24 Posts
I opened the black cover and can see the reservior with blue hydraulic liquid in it. it is a see thru box with a line around the middle of the reservior. if the liquid is above that - does mean it is ok or should I add until it is filled up to the top of the reservior? thanks.

· Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,231 Posts
rambo006 - 12/29/2004 4:46 AM

I opened the black cover and can see the reservior with blue hydraulic liquid in it. it is a see thru box with a line around the middle of the reservior. if the liquid is above that - does mean it is ok or should I add until it is filled up to the top of the reservior? thanks.
Dont think it ought to be blue..
see my gallery for pics etc...

· Registered
1996 S600 (Sebastian), 1999 SLK230 Kompressor (Tie Fighter)
647 Posts
my pumps are running fine, thank goodness. but i wonder if the life of them can be extended if, each time you close the doors, you close them hard enough to prevent the close assist from engaging? like i said to my kids as they were growing up...everytime you use a switch or button it is one 'click' closer to failing as there are only so many 'clicks' in its' life expectancy. i wonder if this holds true for the pumps...[8D]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.