Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300SL
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Air Intake Boot connected to the Valve Cover to Air-Filter Housing, broke off on the valve cover side. I have a new one on order, and was able to reattach the old one until the part arrives.

However, when I was doing the repair I broke off 6-inches of the white/clear skinny hose/tubbing that connects to the bottom side of the boot. I plug the hole on the bottom side of the boot with a wooden toothpick and ordered what I hope is the right tubing.

Questions:
1. Can I drive it like that (plugged with toothpick) until the part arrives?

2. Where does the other end of the tube connect to on the engine and is it hard to get at?

Thanks Dakrri

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
All the white tubing is vacuum tubing. You can buy it in bulk (by the roll). You should replace ALL the vacuum lines. They are all brittle and will continue to break. You can drive the car, but you may get a Check Engine Light at some point. No big deal. Replace the tubing and reset the CEL.

·
Registered
1991 300SL
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RoadKing,

I’d like to replace them all but it’s 25 degrees here in WI and 5-inches of snow predicted, and I don’t have a heated garage. :)

I just wondering if I need to remove a lot of stuff to find the other end of the tubing?

Thanks

·
Registered
1991 300SL
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My parts arrived today and I plan on replacing the boot and vacumm line tomorrow.

Any one know where that skinny white/clear line goes too?

Thanks

·
Registered
1991 300SL
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

I had to remove the entire air filter housing and right under the housing is where the other end of the white tubing connected to some sort of valve . It was an easy fix. I bought a yard/meter of the tubing and I needed maybe 18-inches.

dakrri

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,084 Posts
That piece of tubing is a safety device connected to the fuel pressure regulator. In case the regulator springs an internal leak, fumes are sucked into the air cleaner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts