Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night I thought that I ought to check my oil level after reading someone's horror story about his engine burning oil and having his engine replaced. (How's that going?) My car's oil level was fine, by the way.

In the process I learnt something useful - after the struts have pushed the bonnet up to their max, you can push it further by hand until it is almost vertical. The hinge / links stop it in that position quite safety.

It was easier to see what I was doing and move around with it that far open.

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
I found the same thing about the hood. But, it really did not help reading the oil level because of the POS dipstick. It is absolutely the worst I have ever encountered!!!

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rickboy - 5/15/2005 2:06 PM

I found the same thing about the hood. But, it really did not help reading the oil level because of the POS dipstick. It is absolutely the worst I have ever encountered!!!
Have to agree, it is poor. It helps a lot if you use a piece of clean white tissue paper. After you have taken the reading, press the oily end of the stick against the white paper, without moving the paper. That way you can clearly see the brownish oil on the paper, and where the oil level is on the dipstick.

roadsta

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
roadsta - 5/13/2005 12:06 AM

It helps a lot if you use a piece of clean white tissue paper. After you have taken the reading, press the oily end of the stick against the white paper, without moving the paper. That way you can clearly see the brownish oil on the paper, and where the oil level is on the dipstick.
Neat idea, I'll try that! Maybe a paper towel ...

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I think you need to push the bonnet up all the way if you wanna bend the wipers back in order to clean them...

The SLK books also have diagrams showing that yes, you can open the hood up even more then the first notch (just check out the drawings from the side view shots on mbslk.de )

·
Registered
SL550
949 Posts
Warning - Garage door hazard

Keep in mind that if the hood is in its full open position, it could be in the path of your garage door. Especially the hardware connecting the electric garage door opener to the door.

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RE: Warning - Garage door hazard

fgwinn - 5/16/2005 10:47 PM

Keep in mind that if the hood is in its full open position, it could be in the path of your garage door. Especially the hardware connecting the electric garage door opener to the door.
Good point! Thanks

roadsta

1 - 9 of 9 Posts