Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LHS bonnet catch is giving me a headache.
Despite fiddling with it and putting some fibro washes spaces behind the hinge (which i have since removed as it didnt help) the left side does not stay tucked down nice and tight like the right and will lift slightly after driving so it does not stay perfectly lined with the quarter panel.

Has anybody else had this problem.
It appears if the catch is not holding it nice and tight like the right side does??
Grrrrr!!!!!

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,436 Posts
I know it seems obvious but have you tried cleaning it right up to loosen the mechanism and regreasing it? they can get very gummed up with dry old grease, and stop working effectively. Spoils the lines of the car doesnt it, annoying.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Despite fiddling with it and putting some fibro washes spaces behind the hinge (which i have since removed as it didnt help) the left side does not stay tucked down nice and tight like the right and will lift slightly after driving so it does not stay perfectly lined with the quarter panel.

It appears if the catch is not holding it nice and tight like the right side does??
Grrrrr!!!!!
So....what I hear you saying is that the left side of the hood isn't staying latched and it's only being held down with the second saftey catch. Right?

When you close the hood can you lift the left side without pulling the hood release in the inside of the car?

If this is the case, maybe the latch is too low so there's not a chance the hood can latch. Or like the other responce the latch is gumed up with old grease and isn't latching.

·
Premium Member
1986 420SEL/1995 E300D/4 BMW’s/2 Vanagon’s
1,026 Posts
I know it seems obvious but have you tried cleaning it right up to loosen the mechanism and regreasing it? they can get very gummed up with dry old grease, and stop working effectively. Spoils the lines of the car doesnt it, annoying.
+1 here. Mine was doing the same thing. blasting it with brake cleaner and then Marvel Mystery Oil lubricant (supposedly doesn't attract dust and dirt) made it work perfectly.

·
Registered
1983 500SEC
87 Posts

Grrrrr!!!!!

I've had three SEC, and this happened to all of them, all on the left side. For some reason, the u-shaped steel hoop bolted to the hood starts to bend up a little from repeated shutting of the hood over years. So then as is bends up a few milimeters, at some point it won't latch anymore. I've found two solutions: 1. Buy a new part or 2. Insert a couple thin washers or shims between the part and the hood, effectively lowering the hoop down a few milimeters, and then it will latch.

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, it appears from Vaholtorf's comments the U bolt hoop itself can be the main culprit combined also with a thorough clean & lube of the catch mechanism.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts