Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had my bonnet badge ripped off when parked, and I've bought an ebay replacement, but I can't work out how to release the remains of the badge on the car.

Any suggestions / advise appreciated.

I also have an oil leak at the front of engine that is collecting in the plastic guard - any ideas of potential fixes?

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dremel tool

If you mean the remains of the anchor stud, the emblem is anchored by a threaded stud so look inside the grill shell for the nut. Probably an 8mm nut. Use a deep socket. If the nut is rusted then use a dremel tool with a round point stone to grind off the remains of the stud so it will pop thru the grill surround. Be careful and mask the sorrounding area with tape to prevent damage if the tool slips and skates across the surface.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Oh, that hood ornament mounting setup is a real bugger. I just dealt with it on my newest 88 TE this weekend. Someone had yanked or twisted the hood ornament so it tilted too far back and that drove me nuts so i had to fix it.
It's hard to describe how the mounting setup works but basically you have an outer sleeve and an inner sleeve with a fairly hefty spring between them. Prior to installation the outer sleeve is resting on a pair of pads and the spring is compressed. After you drop the ornament assembly down the grille shell hole you simply twist the outer sleeve until it goes off the pads and then spring pressure slams it against the underside of the grille shell. The ornament is then locked in place.
To remove the thing you have to grip that outer sleeve with a pliers, pull it away from the ornament, and twist it to again have the sleeve ears rest on the pads. It's an awful job, believe me.
You may want to take the brutal approach and get under the hood with a strong pair of cutting pliers to mangle and cut away that out sleeve until spring tension is released. Wear eye protection. Seriously. I made the mistake of not doing that many years ago and have been monocular since.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, its the open three pointed star type with the spring loaded ball joint, as the last post.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A proper description helps!

Thanks for the advice, its the open three pointed star type with the spring loaded ball joint, as the last post.

It's called a Hood Ornament, not a "badge"...

Glad you are not an MD -(Yup, it's that thingy next to the Liver, Sir. That';s what we need to take out...).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts