1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to maybe pick up a set of rims on from a
C202

not these rims in particular...but the pic was just for reference for the body type..heh...i might have the 202 model incorrect?

anyhow...i found this old post

http://mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=457691&posts=2&hl=bolt+pattern

says that its 5x112...thats the same pattern on the ML...so...i figure it'd be the same right?

thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
ML 320
361 Posts
I believe that MB uses the 5x112 bolt pattern on all of their models in the U.S., but the offset varies. I also don't know if the hub will fit from model to model. I have repeatedly been told that the S class wheels and M class wheels are interchangable, but that other models will not fit properly on the M class.

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RickT - 4/14/2005 5:32 PM

I have repeatedly been told that the S class wheels and M class wheels are interchangable, but that other models will not fit properly on the M class.
can someone else confirm this for me? [:(] if its true...it'll be a sad day..haha...i was hoping to possibly get a set of 18" carlsson rims off one of those c-class models.

since its an aftermarket rim..i was hoping it'd fit. heh. someone please shower me with good news! [;)]

·
Registered
190e 2.3l-16v
230 Posts
All late model Benzs and Audis use a 5x112 bolt pattern. ML should be around +35 offset. I dont know the offset for C class but I doubt they will fit ML. Find out the offset first before you buy something and possibly lose money.

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks gorilla...

i dunno if they'll fit :-/ had my doubts when i went to the carlsson website and saw that there were different rims for the C-class and the ML class -.-

so even though the bolt pattern is 5 x 112...i still can't mount that rim?

never did understand about offset and all that jazz...*sigh* ill just bump this a couple more times to see if i can get any additional info from the knowledgable ppl on the forum.

thx again :)

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
Ok, I'll help here. ML uses a high 40's to low 50's offset, the highest on any benz. The late model S-Class (W220) and last generation S-Class (W-140) use a close offset, low to mid 40's depending on the wheel. The W202 or C-Class use mid to high 30's offsets. The old S-Class uses a very low 25 offset. ALL use the 5x112 bolt pattern. A wheel with a 35mm offset will stick out beyond the fender arches and appear a bit "off-roadish" but not by much. Just depends on your taste. The late model S-Class wheels will fit and look fine on an ML. Early S-Class wheels would look hilarious but would fit. The offset on my 18" AMG ML wheels is 51 so that will give you an idea. Remember, the lower the offset number, the further the wheel will stick out from the car.

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information Euro!

so essentially i could get the carlsson rims...they would just stick further out from the wheel well?

and vice versa..if i were to put my ML 320 rims on the C class...they would work...but would not stick out as much...correct?

sorta confused about the whole offset thing...but ive just been debating whether i should just look into a set of rims that are definately made for the ML

although I do like the wider stanced look as well...which i would get from the w-202 rims.....?

thanks again for the info..and hope u'd get a chance to confirm these hopefully last questions i have. [:D]

·
Registered
497 Posts
Note that too much offset might mean the wheel does not clear the brake assembly - which is why most people buy wheels specified for their particular model.

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
marcelc is correct in saying that your M-Class wheels will rub the brake calipers on a C-Class unless you add spacers, which would need to be 15 to 20mm spacers at that. Correct, the C-Class wheels will give the wider look on the M-Class and definitely would fit the M-Class. I'm personaly not a fan of spacers, but many people use them and have had no problems with them. Why don't you try one of the C-Class wheels on and see how it looks?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts