Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
W203 C320 2001
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people,

I had a discussion about wheel bolt patterns today. I know the C320 W203 model takes a 5x112 rim, but could a 110 not fit, is that 2mm difference really a big deal?

Also, the offset is 37... what does that even mean.

Thank you guys!:thumbsup:

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,613 Posts
No Sir,, Mercedes wheels are hub centric, this means that the wheel is centered on the hub and the lug bolts just hold the wheel in place. it is a tight fit as it is at 112.

The off set is the distance either in or out of the center axis of the hub, the lower the number the further out the wheels will sit, the higher the number, the further in they will sit, also note that the 203 uses 12mm lug bolts.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,798 Posts
So I would have to bore the holes wider, but that would lose integrity in the metal so better not touch it ;)

thank you for the info
Um, yeah, don't touch them. Remember that is the spacing -- on center -- between each hole, so you multiply that difference by five for a total of 10mm difference, which is huge...plus it doesn't account for the radius variation. Enlarging the lug holes to accommodate the spacing would also destroy the ball seat mount and probably introduce microfractures leading to catastrophic failure. Maybe you'd do such nonsense for a show car that is never really driven but just rolled on and off a trailer, but not for a real car.

There are adapters available, but they tend to be nightmarish with centering rings and all kinds of crap.

Best to find wheels that actually fit the car without modification or adaptation...at least, other than custom lug bolts.

To put a finer point on Malcolm's note, "Offset" refers to the variation from the centerline of the wheel to the hub mounting surface. In other words, if the hub mounting surface of the wheel is dead center of the wheel, then there is no offset. Move either direction from that centerline, you have offset. Go too far from stock and the wheels will stick out and maybe rub, go the other way and the wheel may run into the caliper or the tire may rub suspension components.

If you don't know what you're doing, I encourage you to work with a competent tire and wheel shop (or a performance shop) to find quality wheels to fit your car properly. Don't just look on ebay and figure you can make it work; wheels are a critical car component and aside from bothersome vibrations from cheap knockoffs, poor quality wheels can lead to failure, loss of control, and a crash. You can start by looking at Tire Rack; they don't sell junk, if you enter your car's parameters they will only show you what fits, and you can get a visual representation of their wheels on your car. And if you buy from them they will also send all the mounting hardware (new lugs are often needed). And if you buy a set of tires and wheels, they'll come mounted and balanced and ready to bolt on, so you can take care of it in your driveway.

Good luck.

·
Registered
W203 C320 2001
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the reply about the offset.

As mentioned in the first post, this was a discussion I was having and no one really knew what kind of issue or even if the rim would fit from a 110 to a 112 for example.

I wouldn't dare mix and match like that. I've done some stupid stuff in my youth by that ain't going to be one for the books!

Thank you though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.