Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some small rust bubble just below the trim that runs above teh rocker panels on the fenders and doors.

In order to properly fix the rust those trim pieces should be removed.

Do they just snap in?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Stickies, stickies, stickies, ... However, the door molding is in HELP!! TIPS/DIYS: General Info, Climate Control, Electrical, Videos, not in HELP!! TIPS/DIYS: Audio, Interior, Lighting, Body, Trim

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1368901-help-tips-diys-general-info-climate.html
Scroll down to Disassembly video, door moulding.
I did search the Stickies but could not find that section. But it is under Help? Must go and look :) OK, I see now. Don't look under trim if you are looking for trim :)

I have the CD from MB, but couldn't get it to run on Win7, even in compatibility mode. But I copied all the files over and finally figured how to get it to work. But there must be an easier way!

BTW - Thanks for pointing me to the right place !

·
Registered
2002 E320 special edition - 78k (former 1995 E320 owner/wrencher)
134 Posts
I know what you mean about the stickies (not finding this DIY info), Graham. When I was ready to remove the "impact strips" from my rear bumper, there was no info outlining that process. I repainted two of the impact strips and replaced my bumper cover.

I will tell you that even with my bumper cover off, it was a bear freeing the plastic clips (impregnated in the back of the impact strips) that fasten to the bumper cover. I'm sure what you need done would only take a body guy two minutes with the right tool. May be worth slipping some guy $10-20 and have him pull them for you.

And yes, the impact strips snap in place.

·
Premium Member
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I know what you mean about the stickies (not finding this DIY info), Graham. When I was ready to remove the "impact strips" from my rear bumper, there was no info outlining that process. I repainted two of the impact strips and replaced my bumper cover.

I will tell you that even with my bumper cover off, it was a bear freeing the plastic clips (impregnated in the back of the impact strips) that fasten to the bumper cover. I'm sure what you need done would only take a body guy two minutes with the right tool. May be worth slipping some guy $10-20 and have him pull them for you.

And yes, the impact strips snap in place.
I am just going out to talk to a body shop about getting some work done on my300D. I will ask him about the rust spots on the E320 too. But they usually want to pain whole panels! If I can find the proper paint code for my '98 E320 silver grey as in pic, I may just do some touch up for winter myself.

Checked service book - it looks like paint code is 744.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
The molding can be removed easily. One screw from inside the open door (in the video), slide the molding over about 1/2 inch, it falls off. It's a hook and slide to lock in.
Dealer sells small touch up paint bottle ($14). Since the car's side is off the direct sunlight, the paint match up will be perfect. I did some touch up myself, clean the rust with some rubbing alcohol then brush the touch up paint over.

·
Premium Member
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The molding can be removed easily. One screw from inside the open door (in the video), slide the molding over about 1/2 inch, it falls off. It's a hook and slide to lock in.
Dealer sells small touch up paint bottle ($14). Since the car's side is off the direct sunlight, the paint match up will be perfect. I did some touch up myself, clean the rust with some rubbing alcohol then brush the touch up paint over.
There is one part where the rust may be harder to get at. The shop I spoke to wasn't sure how to get this trim off - Its the black piece immediately below the painted fender (where you can see a little rust).

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 300D - 1997 E320 - 2004 E55 - 2007 ML320
812 Posts
There is one part where the rust may be harder to get at. The shop I spoke to wasn't sure how to get this trim off - Its the black piece immediately below the painted fender (where you can see a little rust).
That piece comes off very easily. Open the door and use something with a plastic edge to pry it off from the door opening. It cups around the wheel well. Its held in with 3 plastic clips that snap into the fender and have fastener to the back of it. More then likely the clips with break and come off with the moulding. If they stay in the fender you're ok. You can get them online if break some. They're used all over the car.

I just repainted my 97 E320 and took all the trim off and painted the black on the bottem and also removed the door trim. I had the same rust problems you did. What year and model is your 210 ? We have the same color it looks like... Brilliant Silver. Its pretty popular.

·
Registered
1985 300D - 1997 E320 - 2004 E55 - 2007 ML320
812 Posts
I am just going out to talk to a body shop about getting some work done on my300D. I will ask him about the rust spots on the E320 too. But they usually want to pain whole panels! If I can find the proper paint code for my '98 E320 silver grey as in pic, I may just do some touch up for winter myself.

Checked service book - it looks like paint code is 744.
Its also under the hood on the factory plate... Just check because I found that mine is 744M. Don't know if theres a difference but thats what I had my paint shop go with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can help!

Hey, I just had my 2005 c240 painted over from a candy red to a custom white irrides. pearl. I'm sure they can help you out.
Not sure where you're located, but you can give them a call 718-262-8700

·
Premium Member
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, I just had my 2005 c240 painted over from a candy red to a custom white irrides. pearl. I'm sure they can help you out.
Not sure where you're located, but you can give them a call 718-262-8700
For those of us who have filled in our CP (see top menu), you can tell where we are by checking the left side panel below our name. Maybe fill yours in. But with just 1 post, you get some leeway :)

·
Premium Member
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Its also under the hood on the factory plate... Just check because I found that mine is 744M. Don't know if theres a difference but thats what I had my paint shop go with.
I checked mine both on front plate and in back of service book. 744 both places. M may indicate metallic? Actually mine "looks" metallic - It is a '98 E320.

Codes here: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/choosecolor/choosecolor.aspx?year=1998&make=Mercedes-Benz&model=All+Models&search.x=61&search.y=9

744 - Brilliant Silver Met is what it seems I have.

·
Registered
2001 E320 Brilliant Silver/Charcoal 2002 E320 Special Edition
285 Posts
I have some small rust bubble just below the trim that runs above teh rocker panels on the fenders and doors.

In order to properly fix the rust those trim pieces should be removed.

Do they just snap in?
Hi MBGraham,
I am curious how you fixed this rust spot on your Benz? Could you please post an updat.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi MBGraham,
I am curious how you fixed this rust spot on your Benz? Could you please post an updat.
Thank you.
In the end, I had the body shop do the paint repair because there were a few other areas that also needed attention.

I took off the trim and painted all the clip openings with POR-15. There was rust starting around them. I forget exact details, but I think I had to buy a plastic mounting strip with clips in order to reinstall one part of the trim.

I am sure I could have done the touch-ups in the pics myself, but there was a very visible section around the sunroof that needed to be done, so let shop do everything. I think they charged me about $700. Still looks good.

·
Registered
2001 E320 Brilliant Silver/Charcoal 2002 E320 Special Edition
285 Posts
In the end, I had the body shop do the paint repair because there were a few other areas that also needed attention.

I took off the trim and painted all the clip openings with POR-15. There was rust starting around them. I forget exact details, but I think I had to buy a plastic mounting strip with clips in order to reinstall one part of the trim.

I am sure I could have done the touch-ups in the pics myself, but there was a very visible section around the sunroof that needed to be done, so let shop do everything. I think they charged me about $700. Still looks good.
Thanks for the reply!
I just bought my first MB about two weeks ago! :)
I removed the door molding to check for rust and I found something similar to what you had on your car in the picture on the driver's door. Other than that, there is no rust in the doors and I think my car was treated for rust prevention during MB's service campaign. :thumbsup:

I want to take care of this ASAP! did you have to get the entire door panel repainted? can you give details how your body shop tackled the repair?

Thank you in advance.

Ayman.

·
Premium Member
10,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the reply!
I just bought my first MB about two weeks ago! :)
I removed the door molding to check for rust and I found something similar to what you had on your car in the picture on the driver's door. Other than that, there is no rust in the doors and I think my car was treated for rust prevention during MB's service campaign. :thumbsup:

I want to take care of this ASAP! did you have to get the entire door panel repainted? can you give details how your body shop tackled the repair?

Thank you in advance.

Ayman.
I didn't see exactly how they did the repair - I know they used water based paint (now required here) followed by a clear coat - I don't think they did whole panel - maybe just below trim. Can't tell where they did it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts