Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'99 ML320, '83 240D
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think a 1" body lift would be possible on the ML? You can get universal 1" "pucks" for body lifts at about $5 a piece. At 1", the shifter rod, fuel hoses, brake lines, etc. should not need extensions, but compatible hardware can proabably be found universally.

·
Registered
03 ML500
789 Posts
Everything is possible. If you do it yourself, take pics. If you have someone else do it, take pics.
I am not a big fan of body lifts, but might me worth it. I'd rather get a suspension lift.

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
I have about 1.5" of lift from my ML specific hardware.

Attachments

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
BETO - 2/10/2005 2:20 PM

Everything is possible. If you do it yourself, take pics. If you have someone else do it, take pics.
I am not a big fan of body lifts, but might me worth it. I'd rather get a suspension lift.
What is the difference? I am so confused.

[?]

·
Registered
03 ML500
789 Posts
You got a suspension lift. Chia is talking about body lift, which is different.

·
Registered
03 ML500
789 Posts
Body lift goes between body and frame.IE, pucks
Suspension lift goes between suspension and frame. IE, longer springs, shox, or spring spacers.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
From what i understand body lift is for more looks then use. But i know little about off roading stuff..

·
Registered
'99 ML320, '83 240D
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A body lift does change appearance, but its main purpose is to add clearance to accommodate bigger tires. It can only be done to body on frame vehicles (like the ML). Basically, you add a spacer or "puck" at each of the body mounts, lifting only the body of the vehicle, while the suspension and drivetrain stay at the same level.

The advantages to a body lift are lower cost, lower center of gravity, and simpler installation. Also, for an independent suspension vehicle, you do not put additional stress on CV joints because all the drive angles stay the same.

Disadvantages are that you put more stress on the body mounts, so it is safest to stay under 2". Three or more inches is illegal in most states.

The reason I am interested in a body lift is that I would like to try to fit larger tires in the future. The Extrem lift kit gives 1.5" lift, but costs a lot for just some spring spacers for the rear. IIRC, the front still needs a torsion bar adjustment. A body lift costs about $50-75. Also, if I were to try to fit even larger tires, maybe 35's, then I could couple the body lift with a suspension lift for almost 3" of lift.

I also don't like the idea of cranking torsion bars too much. I wonder if coil over shocks could provide additional lift in the front, with spacers or longer springs in the back.

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
Hmmm.. How hard do yuo think it would be to install these spacers? and if you do this, you need to take some pics. Because i would like to do this too!

·
Registered
'99 ML320, '83 240D
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Technically, its easier than a suspension lift, but they can be a real pain in the ass for many cars. The lift itself is fairly simple. You just need to find the mounting bolts, loosen them on one side, jack up that side, install the pucks, and remount the body with longer bolts. Then repeat for the other sides.

Like I said, they can sometimes be a pain in the ass. I'm sure the ML won't be easy to work with here. One inch is a very moderate amount, and I'm not sure if an extension is needed for the shifter. All hoses, lines, and gas filler opening should be fine with a one inch lift. Steering column should also not be affected, but again, I'm not sure.

Also, new brackets to mount the bumpers will need to be fabricated, or you will have a 1" gap between the bumper and the body.

In theory, its simple, but expect just as much work (if not more) as for a suspension lift. This is just a possibility that I'm considering, and I'm not 100% sure I'd like to attempt it. If I do, I'll be glad to do a write up with pics, but for now, I'm just exploring some options for the ML.

·
Registered
03 ML500
789 Posts
As far as I know, it has never been done in our vehicles. Land Rover's on the other side get it done after suspension lift, and could be done by an experienced do-it-yourselfer.
I wouldn't mind the extra inche, but it doesn't seem cost efective. Neither is the spacer for the rear suspension. If I could get one of those in my hands, and take pics and measurments, I might be able to make them cheaper. I am considering getting the spacers and make more on demand. In addition, I'd like to change springs in the rear with a coilover system, and add springs to the front, and find a set of shox with reservoirs. But this is too much to ask here in the states, in Europe is different, they have more development for our trucks.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
BETO - 2/11/2005 2:38 AM

As far as I know, it has never been done in our vehicles. Land Rover's on the other side get it done after suspension lift, and could be done by an experienced do-it-yourselfer.
I wouldn't mind the extra inche, but it doesn't seem cost efective. Neither is the spacer for the rear suspension. If I could get one of those in my hands, and take pics and measurments, I might be able to make them cheaper. I am considering getting the spacers and make more on demand. In addition, I'd like to change springs in the rear with a coilover system, and add springs to the front, and find a set of shox with reservoirs. But this is too much to ask here in the states, in Europe is different, they have more development for our trucks.
Ya, It's really a shame. I wish we could get aftermarket off-roading parts easier for these trucks. Just aftermarket parts in general !! I cant even get rear Bilsteins for my 98 anymore. This is the vehicle with the least aftermarket mods I have ever owned. I guess in the end it's a good thing .. LOL, I dont end up spending too much cash !

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
chia - 2/10/2005 5:03 PM
I also don't like the idea of cranking torsion bars too much. I wonder if coil over shocks could provide additional lift in the front, with spacers or longer springs in the back.
I had my suspension lift done at a Mercedes dealership.

They said there was no problem with the amount of torsion bar adjustment needed.

Their only concern was that I would experience a "harsher" ride.

I don't notice a difference. This is with stock springs and shocks.

I can now fit tires larger than what I am running, and may consider the next size up of BFG's when I am due.

As more aging MLs are out there on the market, I would think there would be a demand for afordable options.

·
Registered
03 ML500
789 Posts
MLOffRoad - 2/11/2005 9:51 AM

Ya, It's really a shame. I wish we could get aftermarket off-roading parts easier for these trucks. Just aftermarket parts in general !! I cant even get rear Bilsteins for my 98 anymore. This is the vehicle with the least aftermarket mods I have ever owned. I guess in the end it's a good thing .. LOL, I dont end up spending too much cash !
Is it that much different from the 99 model?

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
BETO - 2/12/2005 6:52 PM

MLOffRoad - 2/11/2005 9:51 AM

Is it that much different from the 99 model?
Apparently yes ... utleast that is what Bilstein says. I think I'm going to call MB and ask if I can swap 99 rears with 98 rears. I'll post my findings as well.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Has anyone ever done this yet?? If so please give me some insight... if not I think Im going to go ahead and do this to my ML so I can fit some 34's or 35's.

Does anyone recommend against this?? If so, why?

Ill be sure to document it all for you guys... I think Im going to order the 1" pucks right now. WOOT!

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Also, can anyone please confirm how many body mounts there are for sure under the ML?? I just need to know how many lift pucks I should order... Thxs! [:D]

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
MLOffRoad - 4/3/2006 10:00 PM

Also, can anyone please confirm how many body mounts there are for sure under the ML?? I just need to know how many lift pucks I should order... Thxs! [:D]
Looks like 10? [:D]

Are you getting the kit from Starduzt?

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Awesome... Thxs Wolfgang. No, Im not getting a kit from Starduzt, I dont think he ever came through with the kits he wanted to make. In any case Im ordering the pucks now. Ill keep you all updated in a new thread Ill open.

Do you have any input or advice Wolfgang??

·
Registered
ml320
36 Posts
youll need to cut and lift the bumper mounts. and just have a careful look af the steering arm . it may need a little mod

1 - 20 of 22 Posts