Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two pics from my M-class, showing the wedge-pin door locks made by Bocklenberg & Motte in Wuppertal Rondorf. They invented this type of lock together with Mercedes-Benz in the 50s after it was found that other types open after a crash, or jam during a crash and can't be opened afterwards.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
Great safety feature, and l think they look great as well....Thanks Wolfgang..as always....

·
Registered
2001 ML320
1,126 Posts
should be interesting to see how well the W164 strikers work

They look like a cast or molded single piece of metal now instead of multiple layers...

ken

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Carlos
@ken

now I looked up the relevant patent. The first is one of several for the wedge pin door lock.

The second is for a passenger vehicle with a frame, a precursor for the rigid occupant cell patent lateron.

Amazing what one can find on the Daimler server.

Attachments

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
Wolfgang-

You have officially LOST IT.

[:D]

It is pretty amazing when you understand the engineering effort and attention to detail that goes into a fine auto, though.

Thanks for the info. It adds to the enjoyment.

I am blown away by the opening/closing of the soft top on our SL.

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Dave, incurable I'm afraid. Google for Bela Barenyi if you want to find out about the design philosophy behind your W163 and R129.

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
The sketch in the patent looks very close to what I rember being on my MY62 220Sb. I went over logging roads in it and never heard a loose door!

·
Registered
MBs
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mickey.1430 - 5/2/2005 1:46 PM

The sketch in the patent looks very close to what I rember being on my MY62 220Sb. I went over logging roads in it and never heard a loose door!
@Tom, here's a better picture. As far as I know the 220 was the first vehicle to have them, a classic!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts