Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hood ornament (and hence my front end) moves up upon slow and fast acceleration. I know it is normal for the front end to dive down under braking, but should be noticeable under acceleration. There's not as much displacement under acceleration as there is under braking, but I'd still like to hear if this is normal.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I’ve never noticed before. Since your 126 wants to remain at rest it’s normal for her to hunch back on her rear wheels when it’s time to go (bless rear wheel drive) but if excessive perhaps a check of the shocks or springs is in order.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
I agree with JDC, my wee lil gasser doesn't " LIFT OFF " oppon acceleration. My rear digs in, but the front stays right where it should. Check your shocks and springs.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
If your car is till running the stock springs, then yes there will be a bit of dive under acceleration/braking. I find that fitting H&R's Greatly reduces the amount of dive. Very nice trait for when you come over the rise and find a trooper on the other side!

How many miles are on your current shocks and springs??

Jonathan

·
Registered
1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My springs are stock (185k) but I only have about 40,000 (ten years of driving) on the shocks. Don't know if they are heavy duty.

Anyway, "boattailing" is an exaggeration. It's not like a boat with the bow way up, but it kind of rocks up like a moored boat. If you watch the star you definitely notice it going up and down, but it's nothing dramatic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts