Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am pending a sale on a 2004 E320 right now. Due to my vehicle history I have became very familiar with BMW maintenance, expectations and all that good stuff. I had a 03 X5 4.4i, 04 X5 4.8is, 01 740i Sport, 05 745li, and currently Lexus GX470. I have switched cars a lot but didnt have a choice getting rid of the 745. I am a full time college student and being young and my sortof bad driving record insurance was about to SKY rocket on the 7. So I got out of it into the very cheap to insure, but expensive price tag and gas thirsty GX470. I am working a trade on it for a 04 E320. Please inform me on what to look for on these particular cars. I am doing a lot of research to find some answers but any help would be appreciated. You name a BMW and I can give you the run down of likely things that are able to go wrong and which ones are more reliable choices. Mercedes on the other hand, not so much. The E320 is beautiful. Clean title and all. Loaded pretty well with Nav, Harmon Kadon, Airmatic, Heated seats and Xenons. Also it has 20" Asanti wheels on it. I am sure you guys are not fans of them , I am used to being cracked on bimmerfourms for the wheels I like. I need a 6 cylinder cause I drive pretty far to class everyday. The car has 86,000 miles on it. Test drove it and it drives awesome. I just want to know what to look for. Also is an 04 E320 fairly reliable? I am saying that in relevance to owning all German cars
( i know what pains they can be ). I have found Arnott struts in case that happens and my father owns a body shop with an amazing mechanic who works on high end cars everyday of the week. So everything is done there fortunately. We also get parts at cost. Also if you guys don't mind telling me what a legit price would be to pay for this car. It is an 04 with high miles but has the right options. Here is a pic of the car if that helps any.

·
Registered
06 E350 4matic -- 98 E38 740i
215 Posts
Hey guys. I am pending a sale on a 2004 E320 right now. Due to my vehicle history I have became very familiar with BMW maintenance, expectations and all that good stuff. I had a 03 X5 4.4i, 04 X5 4.8is, 01 740i Sport, 05 745li, and currently Lexus GX470. I have switched cars a lot but didnt have a choice getting rid of the 745. I am a full time college student and being young and my sortof bad driving record insurance was about to SKY rocket on the 7. So I got out of it into the very cheap to insure, but expensive price tag and gas thirsty GX470. I am working a trade on it for a 04 E320. Please inform me on what to look for on these particular cars. I am doing a lot of research to find some answers but any help would be appreciated. You name a BMW and I can give you the run down of likely things that are able to go wrong and which ones are more reliable choices. Mercedes on the other hand, not so much. The E320 is beautiful. Clean title and all. Loaded pretty well with Nav, Harmon Kadon, Airmatic, Heated seats and Xenons. Also it has 20" Asanti wheels on it. I am sure you guys are not fans of them , I am used to being cracked on bimmerfourms for the wheels I like. I need a 6 cylinder cause I drive pretty far to class everyday. The car has 86,000 miles on it. Test drove it and it drives awesome. I just want to know what to look for. Also is an 04 E320 fairly reliable? I am saying that in relevance to owning all German cars
( i know what pains they can be ). I have found Arnott struts in case that happens and my father owns a body shop with an amazing mechanic who works on high end cars everyday of the week. So everything is done there fortunately. We also get parts at cost. Also if you guys don't mind telling me what a legit price would be to pay for this car. It is an 04 with high miles but has the right options. Here is a pic of the car if that helps any.

Welcome the the BENZ WORLD

I would say around 13k - 16k is the price range for that car since the miles are kinda high but still great for a 2004..

Honestly it depends on how you take care of it and if the car has ALL services done and didn't get neglected.

The fact that your pops owns a body shop will save you lot's a money on labour for future maintenances. You should get a report on the car and check the history, make sure it dosn't have accidents or anything that might cause problems in the future.

Oh and by the way i got a pair of Asantis and also MHTs, you aint the only one that likes those type a wheels on luxury cars.

The only thing is i got 19s and i think 20s would be pretty bumpy but lemme kno how that goes..

Good Luck:D

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does ride sorta harsh. I had a 2001 E38 740 on 22's so kinda know what I am in for.

I am very anal about maintaining these cars. My parents get so frustrated cause I spend more time cleaning and maintaining my car than I do my room or school work. My cars always stay very clean and I baby them (now that I have to pay for repairs myself). I used to hammer my X5 4.8is into corners at 65mph. Of course both front air struts blew and CV shafts were torn to pieces.

Any Airmatic owners ever go with out having any issues? I know with BMW and Range it was almost guaranteed.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also it is clean title carfax with no accidents. I think I will be able to grab for 14,500 or 15.

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Nice, clean example it seems like. Good luck with it.

Those rims have gotta go though, totally devalue and declass the car by a lot. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
2001 E430 4Matic
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... Was also looking at 2002 E55 with 100k miles on it... Called in insurance to quote and its more than 3 times what the 04 E320 would be!! So looks like I am gonna make a move on this car. Does anyone have any insight on what kind of maintenance issues I could expect at the higher miles. Car is right at 86,000. I know the Airmatic is a big deal but is there anything else I should really watch out for. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,145 Posts
Jeepers that is a hefty upcharge. What state are you in?

When I as looking for the AMG E55 Wagon it was only about 20% more than the E500 I
bought. I had to make a move and get a four door so I got the E500. There were no E55
AMG wagons listed in the country for sale used at the time. The insurance being only 20%
higher was not a deterrent in my decision.
Maybe because it is a wagon the increase is less severe, but I have driven the E55 AMG
wagon and it is a land rocket compared to my E500.

·
Registered
2007 E350 Sport, 2007 SL550
378 Posts
You name a BMW and I can give you the run down of likely things that are able to go wrong and which ones are more reliable choices.

I'm still one of the FNGs on this forum ... I can't tell you much yet about MBs, but I'm learning.

I have this question for you: What are "the usual suspects" in maintenance/repair/replacement issues with a 2003 BMW 328i? My son-in-law bought one last week. I'm curious as to what kinds of issues he may expect.

Welcome aboard, and good luck with your purchase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts