Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 cars....2006 ML and 2007 sl. We each have a phone with Verizon service. I have a three year old Motorola flip...wife has Blackberry Storm.

Both cars have the "pucks with the blue lights". Bluetooth works for my phone in both cars (including loading contact lists). Her phone works in both cars, but will load contact list in either car.

Two questions
1) i need a new phone and am concerned that whatever i get works and loads contact lists in both cars (but mostly in my ML) How do i tell if a new phone i buy will do all of the functions, in one or both cars?
2) is there anything i can do to make her phone load contact lists?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,210 Posts
The best thing you can do is take both of your cars to a full-service store, and ask the sales staff to test functioning versions of the phone(s) you are interested in. See post (permalink) #6 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/aud...13173-how-guide-cell-phone-upgrades-plug.html.

There are three versions of the Bluetooth puck for MHI systems. The first one, ending in part number 5838 or 5839 were not as compatible as those ending in 5878 or 6131. Check the pucks; it is possible that is the problem with the BB Storm. See the same link, above.

Also, search the forums specifically for Blackberry Storm, and see if anyone has posted a workaround.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have the puck ending in 59.....is there a software upgrade for this older version, or do you have to buy a new puck?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,210 Posts
I take it "59" was a typo that should have been "39." The older V60 (non MHI) pucks ended in 5855 (the "puck with tail") and 5856 (puck only).

There is no firmware update service that I know of. A new puck - B6 787 5878 or 6131 - will provide the greatest range of compatibility. They are commonly available on ebay.

My wife has a Storm II; her phone book downloads fine on my 5878 puck. Still, I recommend testing any phone for full compatibility before you buy one. For example, my wife (who has an older Peiker-manufactured system in her '05 Lincoln) wanted a Droid X. When she tried it, it paired fine; however, voice transmission was so garbled and overmodulated both in send and receive that the phone was unusable. We didn't even get to the point of trying a phone book download. She tried the Storm II with her system, and it worked just fine. As I said, it also works with my car (as does my iPhone 4).

Peiker also makes the BT pucks for the MB system, though the one in my car is newer than the one in her Lincoln.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks.....are the two newer versions essentially the same? something i read said that the "31" was newer

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,210 Posts
The newer versions are the same in terms of their electronics and firmware, as far as I can tell. The 5878 is silver and blue; the 6131 is black, and a bit smaller than the 5878. I am not aware of any reported differences in capability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts