Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,462 Posts
Does anyone have any idea how many BlueTEC engines have been reported in the blogs as "seized due to oil sludge"? My R-class was 4 years, 9 months old and the engine is a total loss....and yes, it was properly maintained!
Your question is different subject, different engine from the one in this topic.
There are reports about 350 BT seizures on mbworld.
They do have designated
DIESEL SECTION

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hope they do get sued for this!

All CDIs, and a lot of Bluetecs get this eventually. Dealer quoted me $3700 to do the repair. I opted to do it myself for under $1,000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a Mercedes Bluetec GL350 that my car just died while driving no warning and I have had reg oil changes and check oil. I was told that the engine seized and 7500 to fix. Any suggestions as this may have to do with similar problems listed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello do you have the contact information for Mercedes bluetec oil leak issues? I have a E350 Bluetec that started leaking again. MB replaced the oil cooler leak and the leak between the transmission and engine two years ago and now it looks like same issues are appearing.. leaking same place. I will be taking it to the dealer to see what they say but it is definitely leaking again. We change oil every ~4 months (10K miles) and air filter and diesel filter every 20K. So maintenance is not the issue it is the bad design and/or MB still has issues with the quality of the gaskets and seals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 2010 ML350 Bluetec with about 80,000 miles is in the shop for oil cooler leak repairs estimated to cost about $2,000. This is on top of a turbo oil return line leak which cost around $400. I have noted numeous comments on this forum, on other forums and from my indie that Bluetec leaks are very common as well as expensive to repair.
I have sent inquiries to Berk Law PLLC and Berger & Montague PC concerning mounting a class action against MBNA. These are two of the four firms which were successful in the Honda 3-4-6 cylinder engine class action involving DTC codes P0301 to P0304, which extended engine warranties to 8 years and unlimited miles.
If you are having or have had oil leak repairs on your Bluetec, you may wish to contact these firms and let them know of your interest in being part of a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
08 ML 320 CDI, 99 ML320 V6, 00 CLK430 Cab
564 Posts
I doubt any of these owners are still on here but many stated that their cars had "good, regular maintenance". 10k+ oil changes with low/mid SAPs oil is Not good maintenance. I know what the manufacturer says but they only care that the car lasts till the 50k warranty is up. Also for convenience for the owners. OCI should be no more than 5k if driven in the city.
What gets me is that they knew about this in 07-08 and did nothing to fix this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This oil cooler leak is also common to the ML 320 CDI models back to 2006. Simply put, Mercedes knew about this seal that was a defective design and never issued a recall OR changed the seal, instead they continued to manufacture cars through 2010 and beyond knowing the seals were defective, but that the defect would likely not arise until AFTER the warranties ran out, and therefore, they would actually make money on the parts and labor of these very costly repairs - up to $3000 in most cases. There is another firm looking into these cases, who handled a prior large oil sludge case with Audi/VW and won: Irwin Carmickle Fraley, LLP. 303-999-9000.
I whole-heartedly agree. The major problem with the oil cooler is that the seals do have to be replaced with new seals that supersedes the original seals. The biggest problem is that the oil cooler is hidden smack in the middle of the engine below the intake manifold. If you are any kind of a back-yard mechanic, you can do the job yourself. Not a difficult job but a long and large undertaking. I did it myself with success, but it'll take you 2- 3 days. When you by the new seals, you might as well buy a new oil cooler as well. You don,t what to be taking it apart again. You will also need a host of gaskets and o-rings which will come in a kit. There are a couple of good you tube videos on doing this job. Be sure to itemize each bolt and know where it goes.

·
Registered
08 ML 320 CDI, 99 ML320 V6, 00 CLK430 Cab
564 Posts
The problem is even though they came out with new seals, the leak returns. You can find many examples on the 164 forum of $2-3k repairs being done and the leak returns within a year or two. The seals used to be about $8 and the new cooler was <$50. My indy says they really jacked up the price of new coolers. So between $2-3k in labor for an $8 seal which will start leaking again in the future. My leak started a few months ago @ 115k miles and I'm just going to get lots of cardboard.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI Alabaster White
12 Posts
This will eventually be a class action suit in US, which will force MB into a recall and also to pay for any and all previous repairs(identical result to the balance shaft class action)
Save your receipts.
It will be easy to prove MB knew about problem and decided to continue with cheap rubber o-rings on hottest part of a diesel engine, it is amazing that the older W211(OM648 etc engines) diesels used better synthetic seals and NEVER have leak issues on the oil cooler, or pretty much anywhere.
Somebody will eventually calculate how much oil these engines have dripped into the environment, due to their refusal to recall....that could be another headache for MB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm dealing with this issue right now...My warranty was up in Aug and without warning my 2011 ML350 bluetec's engine seized. Full of oil sludge. It's what I'm seeing on forum after forum. Has a class action suit been established with any of the firms mentioned?
Yes stern law

·
Registered
11 Posts
I should find my way to stern law. My 08 GL320 CDI had the job done twice! I am grateful that the first replacement of o-ring and cooler were with some assistance from MB USA and supporting dealer service center. Less than a year later, the same service center did it under repair warranty because the leak returned. It is now three years or more from the first repair, it is again leaking. The dealer knows the problem isn't going away... it shouldn't be their job to baby sit endless or be caught in the middle of a flawed engineering decision. It's a shame given the engine runs so smooth and the SUV delivers so much utility. The OD just turned 200K early February.

·
Registered
162 Posts
2009 e320 bluetec w211 115k miles
Engine internal clean without sludge at least that’s what the mechanic said when trying to fix an oil leak/Lower pan replaced. Leak is somewhere higher. $500 down the tube. Still at 3 drops overnight from bell housing. Can get 3 mechanics to agree on the cause.
Oil changed yearly.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts