Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2010 ML350 diesel, 1985 300TD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2010 ML350 Bluetec with about 80,000 miles is in the shop for oil cooler leak repairs estimated to cost about $2,000. This is on top of a turbo oil return line leak which cost around $400. I have noted numeous comments on this forum, on other forums and from my indie that Bluetec leaks are very common as well as expensive to repair.
I have sent inquiries to Berk Law PLLC and Berger & Montague PC concerning mounting a class action against MBNA. These are two of the four firms which were successful in the Honda 3-4-6 cylinder engine class action involving DTC codes P0301 to P0304, which extended engine warranties to 8 years and unlimited miles.
If you are having or have had oil leak repairs on your Bluetec, you may wish to contact these firms and let them know of your interest in being part of a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
1989 W201.029/M103 3.0
244 Posts
The combination of 130,000kms, oil cooler leakage and oil return for the turbo leaking in a large SUV in fact suggests driver operation under heavy loading for extended periods. It's clear you either drive it like a commercial truck or a rally car, routinely sending oil and impeller temperatures through the roof during normal operation. Like to tramp it up hills? Love trying to outrace smaller sedans off the lights every intersection do we? You operate it out of design specification. You're supposed to modify a vehicle for heavily loaded sports use as a regular form of driving to the shops. Normal cars don't stand up to it, not even an MB. It's why they have AMG options.

Good luck with your class action.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,988 Posts
Not really, the Bluetec V-6 has a horrible history of oil cooler leaks and not just in the MLs and GLs. The oil leaks are not caused by high oil temps. They are the result of poorly made seals.

·
Registered
2008 E320 Bluetec, 1988 560SL totalled unto death). 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, 1983 300CD
1,329 Posts
Dude is a newbie

He has only 3 posts and it looks like he is trolling for support for his lawsuit. He has a 5 year old car with 80k miles that has developed some oil leaks. Who knows what quality of maintenance that vehicle has received over it's lifetime. I have a 2008 Bluetec that is as tight as brand new.

All that said, who will join me in a class action law suit for leaks in my 32 year old W123 diesel?

·
Purple Moderator
21,988 Posts
I agree that the lawsuit is going to be weak at best. Look at all the bad balance shaft repairs on the M272 engines that customers are paying for. That class action tanked.

The defective valve train class action on the run of 6.3 liter AMG V8s. That one was dismissed very quickly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This oil cooler leak is also common to the ML 320 CDI models back to 2006. Simply put, Mercedes knew about this seal that was a defective design and never issued a recall OR changed the seal, instead they continued to manufacture cars through 2010 and beyond knowing the seals were defective, but that the defect would likely not arise until AFTER the warranties ran out, and therefore, they would actually make money on the parts and labor of these very costly repairs - up to $3000 in most cases. There is another firm looking into these cases, who handled a prior large oil sludge case with Audi/VW and won: Irwin Carmickle Fraley, LLP. 303-999-9000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2010 ML350 blutec with 140k miles currently in the shop for a third oil cooler leak. The first was at 50k. The second at 90k, and now at 140. Incidentally they first replaced the rear Mai which didn't stop the leak. I understand from other forums that Mercedes is aware of this issue but are unwilling or able to find a permanent solution. I guess they figure if you can afford a Mercedes you can afford to replace the oil cooler every 40-50k miles at $2,000+. I am interested in investigating the possibility of a class action.

·
Registered
2005 320cdi
3 Posts
Does anyone know what year (after 2009) that they got the oil leak issue on the diesel models resolved. I have 2005 and 2006 CDIs that don't have this issue, but I would like to upgrade.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just wrecked my 2006 CDI last week. I presumed I would replace it with a 2012-ish Bluetec and move along with life.

I was surprised to find enough about problems with both the engine and transmission that I went back and looked at 2006's again. My 06 was trouble free for 152K miles. I had to replace the A/C compressor this past summer... and for a car that lives in Louisiana, I can forgive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm dealing with this issue right now...My warranty was up in Aug and without warning my 2011 ML350 bluetec's engine seized. Full of oil sludge. It's what I'm seeing on forum after forum. Has a class action suit been established with any of the firms mentioned?

·
Premium Member
07 E350, 80 240D 4 speed, 90 300SE, 87 260E
2,823 Posts
I'm dealing with this issue right now...My warranty was up in Aug and without warning my 2011 ML350 bluetec's engine seized. Full of oil sludge. It's what I'm seeing on forum after forum. Has a class action suit been established with any of the firms mentioned?
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I do not know the answer to your question.

But, may I ask how often (miles and months) between oil changes in the last couple years leading up to the failure?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2010 ML350 Bluetec with about 80,000 miles is in the shop for oil cooler leak repairs estimated to cost about $2,000. This is on top of a turbo oil return line leak which cost around $400. I have noted numeous comments on this forum, on other forums and from my indie that Bluetec leaks are very common as well as expensive to repair.
I have sent inquiries to Berk Law PLLC and Berger & Montague PC concerning mounting a class action against MBNA. These are two of the four firms which were successful in the Honda 3-4-6 cylinder engine class action involving DTC codes P0301 to P0304, which extended engine warranties to 8 years and unlimited miles.
If you are having or have had oil leak repairs on your Bluetec, you may wish to contact these firms and let them know of your interest in being part of a class action lawsuit.
I am going to call them.

I think I've had 4 leaks - and it's always around $2k to fix. I'm done with this brand.

·
Registered
2018 E300 4Dr Sedan
7 Posts
I don't know. All I can offer is that I have a 2011 E350 Bluetec, 84k miles in the shop(MB dealer) right now with a oil cooler leak. They said it would take a week before I can get it back. It was in the shop two months ago with a turbo oil seal leak. Lucky that I bought an extended warranty when I purchased the car 3 years ago.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
63 Posts
Holly s..t!!!
I sold my 2006 CDI a few months ago at 150K trouble free miles. I was actively looking at V-6:frown Bluetec and you guys definitely killed my enthusiasm.:frown

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue, engine sludge? Have you gotten any further info on this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi There,

I have just read your message and I wonder whether you have gone for the class action. I live in the UK and also have major issues with the oil leaks (and in fact other issues- 12 failures in 19 months including oil cooler seal twice)
I would appreciate any information on the action as it may be helpful material in our lawsuit.
Best regards,
Eddie
my contact via forum or krescon_main at yahoo.co.uk

·
Purple Moderator
21,988 Posts
You will get nothing in the UK from a class action in the US.

I have the luxury of looking up all Federal cases including class action suits using a Westlaw terminal. (If reading this and you do not know what Westlaw is please google it to see how deep it goes into every federal and even local cases in the US court system)

As of today none have been filed. If the lawyers said they were filed then they were either rejected due to errors in the filing or they are lying to just try and grab more money.

Even if there is a class action suit then it would not have any basis for anybody outside of the US.

IMO, bottom line is if a member has an affected V6 Bluetec get it fixed and dump the car. It will probably go down as one of the worst engines MB ever designed and then put into production.
Even with MB knowing all of them would leak they still kept selling many models that used the engine. They all leaked and almost every owner got stuck paying thousands to fix them.
So how much did that owner save getting a diesel?? Not a tiny penny. The cost of repairs alone makes the same model with a gas/petrol engine much more cost efficient to own and drive for
a very long time with no major oil leaks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mercedes Benz R Class BlueTEC Seized

Does anyone have any idea how many BlueTEC engines have been reported in the blogs as "seized due to oil sludge"? My R-class was 4 years, 9 months old and the engine is a total loss....and yes, it was properly maintained!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts