Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
'00 Mazda MPV, '98 Chrysler Cirrus
1,654 Posts
Hey Roy - I am installing a "Retractable" Plate that will pull into the lower grille. If I can get them made, want one?
Holy Crap, my James Bond fantasies are staring me in the face! So, you wanna post some pics of that or something???

·
Registered
1991 420SEL, flirting with 200k
150 Posts
Er...AH....
1. It is state law.
2. Because, "I", DON"T want a gazillion tickets in my glove box?
3. Refer to # 1.

TheRog,
Is that the US bracket or the Euro mounting Plate of which you speak. That sound like a good option.
Hey, mine never had a bracket up front, some tard drilled holes into the bumper cover. I just ran some screw into the holes to hold the euro tag holder, then if you can try to use some small 8mm bolts and nuts to affix the CA plate to the bracket.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My car had the Euro front bumper with the Plate holder mountings Holes and slots which makes it easy to mount the Euro plate holder($80.00 Ouch!) with the Euro mtg hardware, so mounting my Plate to the bottom of that holder should work. possibly a US plate mtg onto the Euro plate holder.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
Holy Crap, my James Bond fantasies are staring me in the face! So, you wanna post some pics of that or something???
I may... Depends... I am going to order the hardware this week and I have to figure out if the AMG body kit will interfere with it and by how much if at all. My plan is to notch out the lower grill and have it come out from there. Dead center below the bumper. The front of the Gen II Euro Kit I will be installing, will be finished flush. No holes for any license mountings so the front bumper will be perfectly clean and the plate will come out from under it out from the lower grille. That is the plan.

Until I get the hardware in and fitted, I won't know.

Don't know if I want to post plans of it or not. Ssshhh Classified Materials...

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
My plan is to have a car that James Bond took to AMG and said "Okay, now make it cooler"

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have to figure out of the AMG body kit will interfere with it and by how much if at all. My plan is to notch out the lower grill and have it come out from there.
:eek:

Since you're modding the spoiler, have you considered hanging the unmolested, painted AMG spoiler in your garage and fitting a good quality knockoff to your car? I'm sure I'm not the only one who cringed reading that.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
No Sam, I won't Mod the Spoiler. Only the grille... The vents underneath. I also have to reposition the front Infra Red Camera from under there. Lower it or something. Future plans include a HUD system if I can find the right projector for the Dash. I already have the dash wired for it. When I was in the Navy, I was an AT-2 and worked on all of the Electronics in our planes. I loves me a HUD system.. Still pondering it... But since I had it all apart to do the resto, I figured "Why not? It's only wires" I also have VID/AUD/POWER wired to several other places in my Coupe that I will never need. I have the front seats wired amd up to the front Visors too. I can install Vid screens on the visors and have then either IR Vid from the front camera or Movies from the Head unit. I also wired spare wires & power for a V1 system if I go that way. I looked up their schematics and pre-wired it.

It's so easy to wire this when you car is stripped down to bare metal...

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Actually, Justin pointed me to one that is designed and built already and just needs to be installed. I will do mine and figure out how to mount it and then do yours if you like. I think we have to take into account the AMG spoiler. (I don't have mine yet, but you do right?)
Negative...we'd talked springs and spoilers :)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I once saw a home-made HUD made with a small rectangle of dark tint on the bottom of the windsheild for the display to reflect onto. Not sure what display was used, but I imagine it wasn't meant for HUD. Also, lots of later model GMs have HUDs (Azteks, Rendevous, various pontiacs).

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,771 Posts
Now I'm looking for real Hanover/Lower Saxony(H or HH) German set of License plates for her. I'll get the plate mtg and the real Euro license plate mtg hard ware for the front. The Chrome plate is $80.00 through MB. The one I snagged at the U-Pull-It had one end cut off that I didn't notice...DUH!
She was delivered to/sold by, the Hanover branch. Those plates will reside under the CA plates.
Hannover is H, HH stands for Freie Hansestadt Hamburg = Free Hanseatic City Hamburg.
I just spent 3 weeks around Hannover.
The free Hanseatic City of Bremen is designated by the first letters HB.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Glad to have you back safe and sound.
I'm sure you had a great time.

·
Registered
1991 420SEL, flirting with 200k
150 Posts
Glad to have you back safe and sound.
I'm sure you had a great time.
I don't know if you will use my method for mounting your euro plate, my car did not have a bracket to use at all, someone used the holes where I would assume you would mount the US plate holder, I used those holes to secure the euro plate holder the big black thing, not an actual tag holder from the factory. It looked good, and then I hit a dip in someones driveway and ripped my OH plate almost clean off, if your car is lowered you will have a hell of a time with this! And to think I just lowered my car 1.5" too. Screw OH I'm just putting my euro on this summer!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts