Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SL, 2004 E320
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[:(]
I literally blew the trans on my '84 190E.

I was tooling down the road, music "a-humming" when I heard a loud thumping on the center console. Followed were sounds of metal tumbling in a container (like marbles in a blender) but no smoke. Upon coasting to the curb, rattling still prevalent, I shut the engine down.

Well I got it towed home and it sits in the garage. I am in the San Francisco region and am looking for a cheap fix (of a used trans) to put together to sell. Does anyone know of a source (a few junk yards I've checked) that someone is parting out or has a spare one laying around that is looking for a buyer??

Some leads would be appreciated or I will just have to scrap "old-Bessie" to reclaim my garage space.

Thanks,
Hz
[V]

·
Registered
1989 300CE
87 Posts
I know of a junk yard in Hayward that had some 190's but cost a lot of $$$$ there.Do you need a standard or auto.I know last week the pick n pull or what ever its called on 85th san leandro blvd in oakland had a 190 with a auto trans.

A side note:You can let me have it[:D] I'll take it off your hands if you plan on scaping it

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
Just an off topic about the trans. Just Friday driving back to the shop where I work, my Ford work van's tranny started whining. Five miles from the shop it seemed like it was slipping a little. I pulled over to the side of the road to let traffic by and discovered the van was smoking. I then saw a pool of oil under the tranny on fire so I got my 10lb fire extinguisher out to no avail. Within a minute of pulling over I could'nt get back into the cab where I had a second 10 pounder behind the seat. In 5 minutes the cab had flames rolling out the windows. The local fire company got there within 15 minutes and spent over a half hour trying to put out the fire. My cube van is split into two sections and they stopped the fire from traveling to the back of the van where I had equipment for tank testing at gas stations.(2 full bottles of nitrogen and containers of gasoline and diesel in the expensive OSHA cans).The front part of the van I lost about 50 grand of testing equipment alone. It's amazing how a tranny problem can lead to this. The trans was acting up for weeks before but never was leaking any fluid, just shifting different and whining sometimes when hot. Oh, if the tranny goes out on my 93 190e, I'd sell it as is and start over with something newer. After 8.5 years of good luck with my car, I'd throw the towel in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts