Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - now mine has blown. Right Front - while the dealer was washing the car. It apparently dropped to the ground. Let's tabulate this: how many struts in this small group have blown? Or, have you lost one of the compressors?

·
Registered
2007 GL450, '12 Porsche Panamera, '96 F250 4x4 Powerstroke
229 Posts
When was the build date? I've noticed a lot of the early on models having this problem, but it seems to have diminished since. Mine was built in October, and so far, so good (knock on wood). I haven't heard of anyone bringing it up since mine was built.

·
Registered
GL450, Zo6 Z16 #1917
37 Posts
10-28 build date here, everything OK, idler making noise from time to time, dealer replaced to be sure, 7400 miles, dipstick 75% full. So far so good!
Great vehicle M-B!:D :D :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
blown struts

Myione has 800 miles so far.....but

I used to have one of the first S500s in 2000. It used to loose the air suspension all the time. After about 10 tries at making it work, I hired a Lemon law guy. I was coming down this curvy road fast and it dropped the right front on my car in a compression right curve. I ABS'd it up the bank and back into the road, cleaned out my shorts, and then called my son to bring my video camera. I got $135k back on that car.

What surprises me more is that they keep having problems with this. 7 years of playing around wiht it is a long time.

·
Registered
2008 SL550
613 Posts
BigBadDAE said:
There have been many posts here on blown struts.
I can't remember "many posts" on the GL forum of "blown struts." I also frequent other forums and threads and I have not seen many references along that line. I have a S550 with ABC and have not even had a hint of a problem in over 11,000 miles.

I am not aware of any series of TSB's pertaining to this problem (there may be one since the GL started production.)

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
I have seen many failed compressors, but have seen one blown strut, passenger side. it was a tech working 2 bays down from mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, blown strut... front passenger. It took forever for them to get the replacement part. I "believe" that I had something like 5000 miles on the car at the time. I have an early built date as I am now approaching the one year mark. No other significant problems to report... of course the occasional check engine light and most recently check coolant level.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just lost the left front strut. The Gl has 53K on it now (12/08). Compressor replaced under warranty by dealer - not by my request - just when it was in for service. I have the extended warranty - but should I start getting nervous?

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
Nobody expects a shock absorber to last forever--why a strut?

Will be replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
186 Posts
drivers side for me

·
Registered
2008 GL 320, 2012 BMW X1, 1995 Volvo 855T, 2008 Outback
307 Posts
Nobody expects a shock absorber to last forever--why a strut?

Will be replaced under warranty.
Of course the shocks don't last forever, but 10-20K miles???? My OEM struts on various Volvos last 120-150K miles. MB just went for cheap Chrysler shocks.
When you buy a "premium" automobile, you expect the parts to also be premium, not substandard. Yes, they are covered under warranty, but none of us wants to be on a first name basis with the service advisor!

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
Of course the shocks don't last forever, but 10-20K miles???? My OEM struts on various Volvos last 120-150K miles. MB just went for cheap Chrysler shocks.
When you buy a "premium" automobile, you expect the parts to also be premium, not substandard. Yes, they are covered under warranty, but none of us wants to be on a first name basis with the service advisor!
Mercedes never took parts from the Chrysler parts bin but they did put some of their own in the Chrysler bin. What Chrysler do you know of that has an air suspension?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts