Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2000 C230K
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my front drivers side door speaker is blown and im wondering if anyone knows where i can buy mercedes factory speakers (non Bose) and maybe other mercedes factory parts such as side mirror and parts like these.
:poopbanana:

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
Dealer, junkyard, ebay, craigslist, for sale forum, etc. etc. etc etc. Endless possibilities.

Aftermarket speakers will work fine, I just replaced a blown speaker in the rear.

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
I mounted some shallow mount polk 6.5's in the front to replace speakers that were falling apart from age. I modified the existing mount so the new speakers would sit flush on the flange and used some silicone to glue the new ones to the mount and then reattached the mount as before. Grills covered it fine.

It's fairly simple to get the old speakers out running a small screwdriver where you can see a bit of the black silicone that glued them in. After I did that, I was able to use the tip of the screwdriver to pry the joint apart and without too much fuss the speakers were removed. But sitting the new speakers on the top of the mount wouldn't work, they would not clear plastic door grill. So I decided to be creative.

The diameter of the speaker behind the front flange seemed to match the inner diameter where the original speaker sat. So I had to cut the outer edge of the plastic frame down about a half inch. I didn't have a rotary tool with a little saw blade so I ended up mounting a hack saw in a vise blade side up and judiciously slide the mount back and forth sawing through keeping an eye toward not cutting myself. Worked well and the speaker will sit about as far out as the original mount. I need to get some black silicone so I can run a bead on the mount to glue it to the back of the speaker frame very similar to how the originals came. Hopefully the pix will help to tell the story:

Sawing the outer edge off the mount:

Excess material removed:

How the new speaker will sit in the mount:

Mounted in the door:

BTW, I also replaced both mirrors on my car as both were not functioning anymore. You can find used mirrors on ebay or in one case I got one from a member here who was parting out his car. Junkyards are your friend, you don't want to buy parts new from the dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts