Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
99 ML320, 04 E500
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thank you everyone for your contributions so far. I've had multiple culprits at play so far and it's been quite a hair-pulling ordeal.

1. When I had plugged in the replacement cluster, some of my displays weren't lighting up and I figured I still had loss of CAN data. Last night, I decided to check all my bulbs on my old cluster to see why illumination wasn't working -- just pulled out all the bulbs individually and stuck the connectors between a 9V battery. All my bulbs were fine but the cluster is just completely dead. I then checked the bulbs on the replacement cluster and found that the bulbs on the small displays were blown out. Swapped them with the my corresponding healthy bulbs from my old cluster.

2. I set the replacement cluster on top of my steering wheel but not inside the crevice such that I still had access to all the connector wires. Started fiddling with them individually and isolated it down to a faulty wire connection (a pink wire -- not sure which exact wire it is yet). If I pushed it into the connector a bit more, I would receive response on my tachometer and speedometer. If I gently moved it outwards a bit, all my gauges would fall flat.

So, now the question is, how do I go about fixing the fault wire connection inside the connector? I posted a picture of the combined connector in an earlier post and it seems like it would be extremely tricky to dismantle and reconnect. Is this is a situation where I have to go buy a new set of wires/connector?

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
Cluster Connector Assembly

Finally you are on the right track.
Just take apart the AMP connector, as pictured step by step .
1. First locate the side locking cap of the connector that has Mercedes emblem stamp on it and slide it off with your thumb.
2. Then cut off the black wire tie holding all the wires together to the connector's housing.
3. Slide out connector from the housing and check if the pink wire is inserted all the way into connector till locking tab of the metal connector on the end of wire clicks in. (If wires are just crimped in, you can solder the crip over to make 100% good connection. Reisert them into connector after they cool off.
4. Insert the whole connector into the cluster receptacle and test it without the connector housing. This should allow the pins on cluster to go little deeper into connector providing better contact with vehicle harness.
If you happy and cluster starts working correctly, you don't have to put the connector housing back on it. You can make small slots into cluster's back cover using you Radio Shack soldering iron and insert wire tie through them to lock in the connector. Even good grade 3" wide VHB adhesive tape over it would hold it in the place.
Good luck,
Bernard

Attachments

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,046 Posts
According to the diagram, there are four pink wires:

Ambient Temp. Sensor in socket B6
Fuse #10 in socket A7
Fuse #25 in socket A10
Data Link Connector in socket B11

The Ambient T. S., fuse #25 or the DLC wires shouldn't have any effect on the cluster operation. So fuse #10 might be your problem.

Use the diagram of the cluster I provided in post #30 to help you along. And don't forget about fuse #13 (socket A11 which blew previously).

·
Registered
99 ML320, 04 E500
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Took off the connector housing, checked all the various wires (particularly the pink ones), pulled out the ones that were slightly loose and made sure their connections were good and also lifted the metal tabs a bit on each wire that keeps the wire "locked" into the connector. Plugged the connector sans housing and taped it down for now -- didn't want the bending of the wires within the housing to screw with my connections.

Drove it around the block to make sure all my gauges and lights were responding properly. Everything looks normal! Now I have to deal with setting my odometer back to the proper mileage.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to thread, particularly 43sqd and mbenz80. 43sqd, thank you for the cluster and spending hours on the phone with me diagnosing all the issues. I can't thank you enough.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,023 Posts
Do you know how to set the mileage? You will need a MB SDS system or a specialty speedo shop that has the tools to get the data changed.

·
Registered
99 ML320, 04 E500
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Do you know how to set the mileage? You will need a MB SDS system or a specialty speedo shop that has the tools to get the data changed.
Yeah, I searched through the threads here and saw that. I'll check with my indie to see if he can do it. I'm not really in a rush since I don't intend on selling it anytime soon. However, I am concerned about the mileage discrepancy when I have to get my car smogged for my registration renewal next month.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,046 Posts
Yeah, I searched through the threads here and saw that. I'll check with my indie to see if he can do it. I'm not really in a rush since I don't intend on selling it anytime soon. However, I am concerned about the mileage discrepancy when I have to get my car smogged for my registration renewal next month.
Every Dept. of Motor Vehicles in every state have provisions for just this sort of thing. There will be a form that you will have to fill out that will negate the discrepancy in the mileage.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
453 Posts
Did you try to plug in the original cluster? Maybe it will work now since connector wiring is repaired, showing correct mileage that used to be shown.
I have the connector if you have any more problems and you are willing to splice in all 23 wires, let me know.
Anytime, I was glad to help out.
Bernard

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,131 Posts
For us to help you you need to help yourself first.

• Click on your avatar
  • Click on account settings
  • Schroll to vehicles
Enter your year and model

Once this is done we we be glad to help till then we have no idea at all what you are working on?

Please don’t just post it but add it to your profile. That way it stays where ever you go.

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
725 Posts
Fauzy... Now we know what MB you're talking about... WRONG FORUM.. You need to be over in w202 ..

Don't you just hate it,.. Stand in line for an hour,.. fill all the paper work out.. Get up to the window.. Then told, you're in the wrong building.. "You need to be in building C-1a.. not C-a1.".. o_O

41 - 53 of 53 Posts