Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
: I bought a 404 with a bad head. When I took it off the head was so deeply corrodated I had to buy a new one. There are some great guys here that sell car parts. I told them what I needed and they pulled out seveal head. All had different compresion ratios. You can see the differance in the size of the camber just below the valves. I picked one that had the same intake and exuasht manafold port shapes. The new head has an 8.7/1 ratio the old I think was 6/1. The only thing you have to worry about is buying a head gasket that fits the new smaller shape of the valve chamber one that fits the old one is too big. Everything else fit. I think the head was off of a 65-68 250s. I know it was bad when I got it. <br>I would definetly rebuild the head if you take it off. I took mine to a local shop. They rebuilt it for 300. I supplied the vale guides. <p>Andy Smith 410 796-4546 MD, USA (Feel free to call). <br><br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i unfortunately just recieved a 404(sight unseen, shame on me!) we have ascertained that the obvious lack of power is due to a blown head gasket, not bad ignition, plugs, etc. should i do a valve job when the head is off? it seems that i am already there and should therefor, do the entire top. the truck allegedly has only 11k miles on it. if i just do the head will this not create new and better compression and put some stress on the guides, etc, if in fact they are weak? appreciate any information on the unimog. i guess the good news is that the truck i have for sale will be fresh and the same thing will not happen to the next buyer. email me at [email protected] or call 918-744-9800, fax 918-742-0659. thank you in advance, peter<br><br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts