Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car developed a terrible fluttering grinding noise that required me to get the car towed into the dealership. the shop foreman concluded that the engine threw a connecting rod and was ruined. i am currently awaiting delivery of a new engine.<br>
<br>
another customer at the same dealership experience a similiar engine failure at 1200 miles. is this just a coincidence?<br>
<br>
i had not had any problems whatsoever before the engine suddenly failed.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yikes... Chrysler effect?

I've been looking at the newer E and C class but stories like this are scaring me off. Could it be a mistake to have deserted the cast iron straight six for the aluminum V6? BMW still has not gone to a V6. Several MBZ guys have told me the old straight 6 in the E class up to 1997 is a much more durable powerplant than the V6 that replaced it (even if the old straight 6's leaked oil)<br> What say you guys?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stories like this? how many others do you know? remember benz bought chrysler, not vice versa.

all around this is a stupid comment to my request for information. hey pt, buy a chrysler!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: stories like this? how many others do you know? remember benz bought chrysler, not vice versa.

Im sorry about your problem. It hurts just even thinking about it. I had my benz for 2 weeks and i had to get it towed because the ignition system failed. I bought a benz because i didnt want any problems. But i guess there worse than american cars these days. I think they are focusing so much on safety and technology that they might have lost there edge on durabilty. Its a shame. Hope it works out for you. Keep us posted please

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your kind words. i wouldn't give up. remember i had one of the first c32 amg's in the u.s

and i have only uncovered one other car on the c32 life board with a blown engine, as compared with 10 cars on the 2002 bmw m3 board. i am cautiously optimistic that the replacement engine will be better. the c32 is the most fun i've ever had in a 4 door! (well at least one that was moving).<br> <br> btw, ignition systems have occasionally failed because of their complexity. i for one am willing to trade these initial failures for a system that makes new mercedes almost impossible to steal.<br> <br> i would also not wax nostagically for the benz of the past. the current ones are much more reliable albeit much more complex.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
may i suggest porsche as an alternative to the tuner cars offered by bmw and amg merc? porsche puts

their cars together more carefully, albeit at a price. i replaced my c32 amg with 996 c4s and couldn't be happier!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts