Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes 300sel
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all. this is for a 1989 300sel i purchased recently. there are some electrical bugs i would like to try fixing myself before sending it for repairs.

when i turn the key to the 2nd position, (engine off) the climate control buttons all work. the blower motor works ect. as soon as i turn on the engine, it all stops. no fan no control. any ideas??

one other problem is the headlight. i have no control for high beam and low beam. the high beams are permanently on and the high beam light stays on the dash too. what can this be?

thanks for any help

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
the main control is failing. This is the actual unit with the push buttons and temperature wheel. It is very easy to remove and replace. There is a place out of Fla. called ProGramma or something like that that rebuilds these units if you send them your core they will send you a new one for a fraction of what you would normally pay. i'm not sure if they are still in business I used them about 4 or 5 years ago for both my 300E and 190E 2.6

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
the main control is failing. This is the actual unit with the push buttons and temperature wheel. It is very easy to remove and replace.

I do not agree. if you do not touch the thing but instead all you do is move the ignition switch then the ignition switch has a bad contact in it. Not unheard of at all.
As for high beams do the lights do anything as you jiggle the turn signal lever forward and back? It's most likely in that switch.

·
Registered
83 500SEC, 84 300TD, 86 190E 5.0 M113, 87 300D, 01 CLK55, 02 C32, 02 C320T, 03 C320T4, 03 E55
2,600 Posts
Second the ignition switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts