Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been having this issue for about a year now.

I have double checked everything is functional and figured out that the issue with my air was the blower motor will seize up if the speed setting is too slow or i hit up a bump that'll jolt the blower assembly.

It completely stops blowing air and makes a terrible noise that can only be stopped by shutting off the air system by hitting the 0 button. once restarting the air by hitting the 0 button again it'll once again work fine until seizing up minutes later.

I've taken out the blower motor and it looks to be ok no visible damage. Does anyone have experience with further breaking it down to fix this issue or should i just buy a new one.

Keep in mind i have bought a new car in january (2010 Honda Insight) for my commute so this isn't my primary vehicle anymore but i would like to still have the heat ready for the winter if i take her into the city or around town to avoid beating up the new car.

thanks everybody.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think there may be a mechanical failure somewhere. A typical dry bearing would have entirely seized by now.T here is a chance that you could remove it again, and drip some 20 weight on either bearing.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
First the bearing on the commutator end need lubricating with oil, just use a screwdriver blade dipped in oil to drop it in. that will take away the noise.

The chances are the carbon brushes are either worn out or sticking and they should be replaced,, they are on Ebay in the UK, might be on there in USA for $10

With these motor when the fan stops and starts the brushes are worn out, what happens is, once the car is moving the incoming air will will move the fan a touch so that it starts again

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys i'll do just that. because the motor seems to be functional it'd be a shame to just throw it away, i'll use your screwdriver tip to get the oil to the inner area where they make contact.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
thanks guys i'll do just that. because the motor seems to be functional it'd be a shame to just throw it away, i'll use your screwdriver tip to get the oil to the inner area where they make contact.
Try not to get any oil on the commutator, just the shaft where it goes into the bearing, then hold it on end so that the oil can run down the shaft into the bearing

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Try not to get any oil on the commutator, just the shaft where it goes into the bearing, then hold it on end so that the oil can run down the shaft into the bearing
thanks for the heads up. The commutator area you are referring to was actually what spooked me from just hitting it with oil initially when i pulled it out. i wanted to make sure i wouldn't fry anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts