Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vehicle: 1991 Mercedes 190E 2.3

Several months back the blower motor worked intermittently but eventually stopped working. Today, after several months, it just kicked back in and started blowing heat again. I've only checked the 25a blue fuse and it is fine.

Can someone please tell me what is going on with my blower motor? The heat always slowly pours out with or without the blower and there is no unusual noises while the blower is active. When the blower motor is NOT working when i select various fan switch buttons i can hear a "click" coming from the squirrel cage but no blowing kicks in. At the moment with the blower working everything works and sounds appropriate.

What can i do to make sure my blower motor works consistently before winter gets here? Does the unit simply need a clean and WD40? Or is this a sign of a faulty fuse I didnt check?

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check climate control module. Or just can be bad blower unit. Do you get heat when you switch to AC?
I do have the Mercedes Service Manual but i have no clue where to locate the "climate control module". In the meantime i will push the AC button and see what happens.

·
Registered
1987 190E 2.6
58 Posts
climate control is the push button in center console. Gives you heat,ac,etc.
turn round knob to see if you get hot and cold air blowing.

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
climate control is the push button in center console. Gives you heat,ac,etc.
turn round knob to see if you get hot and cold air blowing.
I've attached a photo of my center console.

There is an AC button. When i click it to ON there is no audible or temperture difference. It still feels warm. Adjusting the temperature dial wheel does have an effect on the temperature -- it blows cooler when adjusted to the blue.

The blower is currently running with the settings MAX and [][]. The attached photo shows my old settings.

So when u say to check the climate control module, you are referring to the actual unit on the backside of these buttons which interfaces with the electrical system? Is this also called the fan switch?

I'm curious about the squirrel cage just above the buttons. When i adjust the lever to the very top to have it blow out the air is very forceful and ALWAYS COLD. What is its purpose?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 190E 2.6
58 Posts
center vents are fresh air. They will always blow cold air. Blower switch is just below that and above the push buttons. if the blower works and your always getting hot air from side,upper and lower vents then you need to check the climate control unit. Do a seach on how to remove and check. You might also have a vacuum leak. Did you check for that?

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
center vents are fresh air. They will always blow cold air. Blower switch is just below that and above the push buttons. if the blower works and your always getting hot air from side,upper and lower vents then you need to check the climate control unit. Do a seach on how to remove and check. You might also have a vacuum leak. Did you check for that?
Ok i will do a search for "climate control unit" for the 190e. In the meantime, no i have not checked for a vacuum leak. Can you give me some pointers on how to achieve this? The car normally runs rough and a colleague told me to check for vacuum leaks but i never did. Perhaps there is a relation.

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I explained the issue to my mother about winter coming and the blower motor not working. She suggested I go to my local Walmart, purchase one of those $15 small portable heaters, and use that as my in car heater. Basically forget about paying for a new blower motor. Kind of funny riding around in my "luxury" Mercedes-Benz with a $15 portable heater on the dash. Hahahaha something doesnt seem right.

I thought it was a funny but very sensible / cheap solution.

·
Registered
'87 190E 2.6
186 Posts
I'm (was) having this exact same problem, and a few hours and a lot of reading boils down to this:

The ACC system (or subsystem) has a overcurrent cutout. Meaning that if the Blower Motor, Aux Heater Pump, or Blower resistor pack draw too much current, it shuts the blower "off".

The Climate control has no way to turn off the blower direclty.

For my specific problem, I replaced the Aux pump as mine was leaking the replacment motor did not have the pigtail on it, rather it was built onto the end plate of the pump motor; physically everthing else was the same.

This new motor draws more current than the old one causing the blower to stop. Unplugging the pump (in my specific case) has solved the problem.

I hope this leads you to solving yours.

Scott

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
From that picture you posted it looks like you pushed the DEFROST button. Sometimes the wire going into the climate control box can get loose. Why dont you take the wood panel off and check. There are two screws underneath it on both sides. Philips. Remove the fan speed knob by twisting it off. The wood panel lifts out slowly. You might have to jiggle it a little bit. Then it will slide out. Check to see if any wire plugs and wires are loose. While you are there check to see if your bulbs are burned out. Replace them if your dash doesnt light up at night. Fan speed, temp dial, vent settings, and AC/dehumidifier, recirculate air button should all light up. It is really dusty and dirty under there. Vacuum some of that crap up if you can.

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to check underneath the switch as suggested right now. In the meantime if i do have to get access to the blower motor, i am trying to remove the bulkhead.

How exactly do you guys remove this cleverly placed screw:

The screw is deep down near the O2 sensor at the exhaust manifold(?) and behind a metal shielding. The angle for my ratchet, screwdriver, anything is impossible. Any hints on getting access to this screw so that i can begin to pull back this bulkhead to get access to the blower motor housing?

Thanks

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
From that picture you posted it looks like you pushed the DEFROST button. Sometimes the wire going into the climate control box can get loose. Why dont you take the wood panel off and check. There are two screws underneath it on both sides. Philips. Remove the fan speed knob by twisting it off. The wood panel lifts out slowly. You might have to jiggle it a little bit. Then it will slide out. Check to see if any wire plugs and wires are loose. While you are there check to see if your bulbs are burned out. Replace them if your dash doesnt light up at night. Fan speed, temp dial, vent settings, and AC/dehumidifier, recirculate air button should all light up. It is really dusty and dirty under there. Vacuum some of that crap up if you can.
Ok, i removed the front wood panel and am now faced with a black face and the buttons. I was expecting to see wires. I attempted at prying this black face off but it seems fairly snug against the larger plastic side panel. Where should i begin to remove this black face to get at these wires?

Thanks

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am still unable to get access to the wiring behind the ACC panel. I removed the wood planel and am faced with a black panel. This panel doesnt seem to come off. I can pry the right side out but the left side refuses to budge. I dont want to break it if there's something locking it in.

Any ideas on how to pull out this black faced area to get access to the wiring?

Photos:

Attachments

·
Registered
'91 Merc 190E 2.3
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh and just in case, within photo #2 you can see 2 black screws near the top. I did in fact remove those and still the unit refuses to come out. Something is clamping the left side in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts