Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1992 mercedes 200ce & 1992 200e
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to find the W124 climate system guru. Recently my blower motor started the squeal of death, 2 days later it was done. Bought the next motor installed it, and the airflow through the vents is now very weak on both hi/low settings. Also on top of that the a/c is no longer blowing cold, nothing but heat coming out slowly. Before the motor went bad I had good airflow and A/C when selected. The fan is spinning the correct direction (I checked that in another thread) Any Ideas?

Car Is 92 200e with climate control system.
:surrender:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I bet you put it in backwards....

Some of the replacements you've got to make sure the squire cage angles are the same way. On mine- I got the cheaper non-bosch and the proper installation looks backwards.

M

·
Registered
1992 mercedes 200ce & 1992 200e
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next.

cages were the wrong direction, got them swapped, still poor airflow through the vents. Im sticking by my original thought that it is some kind of vacuum issue.? Any more thoughts?

·
Registered
90 300TE 4Matic Wagon - 198,000 miles
9 Posts
I had a similar issue. Fan replaced, then nothing, or sporadic low speed. Eventually, I learned that the resistor that controls the fan, which sits just under the little saddle housing for the fan, had likely burned out becuase of all the effort it took to run the bad fan. Picked up a used one, pulled out the fan (again) replaced the resistor, and now it works great. I did learn that there are two types - one for a car with a fresh air filter, and one without. Mine was without, and it was shaped like a little triangle with a heat sink on the right side, and wires off the left. That might help.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,647 Posts
That "resistor" would be called the fan speed regulator. Not so un-common for them to fail due to the extra draw put on them, over a long period, by a failing motor.

Jayare

·
Registered
90 300TE 4Matic Wagon - 198,000 miles
9 Posts
Resistor/fan speed regulator, whatever. All I know is I "found" one, "replaced" it, and now my "fan" works just "fine."

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
scotshammer,

what you will learn "if" you get up to 3,700 posts like Jayare is that it is important that the correct part name be used in a post so that when members with problems search the posts for fan regulator then this post will pop up and help them with their problem.

Likewise, if members search for resistor, then this post would not come up and waste their time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts