Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

BLOWBY W123-250-1978-Gasoline

Tags
blowby w123
1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Kalakov222 
#1 ·
Unfortunately this is a stage the Engine has come to. However it seems to be sudden and resent, although no major event took place. The car has usually been neglected and standing for prolonged periods of time.

I read up on several posts regarding reasons and have taken following steps:
1. removed the blow by pipe from the Air Cleaner box, so it does not cycle back the EGR - Exhaust gas recirculation into the combustion chamber.
2. changed the oil and filter. I was told that sometimes the choice of Oil makes a difference. I was advised to use fully synthetic oil so I have changed it to SAE 5W-40.

Could anyone advise if this is the right choice.
Any other advice.

#3 ·
+1

In my University days I had a Yamaha 550 that spent the winters parked up. Thing was a beech to start in the spring, fortunately my parents lived at the top of a very steep hill.

Only years later did someone tell me to put a teaspoon of engine oil down the spark plug holes when I parked it up, then repeat before thawing out in the spring.

#6 ·
Gumming up occurs when combustion residue and oil combine and harden in the piston rings grooves preventing them from moving freely. To form effective seals against the piston bore they need to press against it. Moreover when the engine warms up, the piston rings warm up, they expand, the gaps between the ends of the piston rings close up, the grooves in the piston close up and the rings press more firmly against the cylinder bore. QED if they're stuck in their grooves they can't move freely and don't seal as well.

Adding engine oil before a start from long term storage provides both initial lubrication and helps create a temporary seal.

#8 ·
1-2 oz per cylinder, make sure car is on level ground. 1 day is good, 2 days is even better.

Before putting spark plugs back in, place a towel/s over spark plug holes to blow out any remaining MMO via cranking engine.

Expect smoking for first 5-10 minutes of running while MMO burns off inside combustion chamber.
sorry for being an amateur, but I just want to be sure, you’re saying I should open plugs, pour MMO into combustion chamber, leave plug ports open for 2 days, crank it while plug ports remain open to drain out over flowing MMO, then start?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.