Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Coupe
791 Posts
Can anyone tell me can a blow off valve be installed on a clk 230 kompressor?

thanx:thumbsup:
Are you refering to what they also call a "dump valve"?

If so, I'm not sure. Out of curiosity, I'll see if I can find out. They might have to be used in conjuction with a turbo though.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Mercedes CLK 230 Kompressor
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you refering to what they also call a "dump valve"?

If so, I'm not sure. Out of curiosity, I'll see if I can find out. They might have to be used in conjuction with a turbo though.

yeah thats what i mean!!!

I found a guide to install a BOV on a SLK 230 Kompressor (like all of us know clks have the same engine).

hers the link:
HTML:
http://www.blauertacho.de/doc/bov/slk-kompressor/einbau_des_blow_off_ventils_bei_einem_mercedes_benz_230_slk_kompressor.htm
but on the slk some parts dont seem similar to engine parts on the clk. I mean whers that vacuum gummy pipe on a 230 k clk engine?

And also i think that u dont have to have a turbocharger to have a BOV because a supercharger is similar to a turbo because it also makes air pressure. :D

PLEAS HELP PPL:D

·
Registered
791 Posts
.....And also i think that u dont have to have a turbocharger to have a BOV because a supercharger is similar to a turbo because it also makes air pressure. :D....
You may well be right. :dunno:

Let me know how you get on though..

·
Registered
1965 Peel Trident, 1972 chevy vega
459 Posts
The blow-off valve works on a turbo, because the exhaust gasses blow by one turbine, which in turn spins another. So the exhaust blowing out of the engine, in turn compresses the inlet air.

When you down-shift, the back-pressure between the intake manifold and the turbo, causes resistance, and the turbo slows down.

The brilliant little blow-off valve opens at a pre-determined pressure (say, near max RPM) and lets the boosted air simply escape. But the turbo is still spinning very fast. So when you slam the shifter into the next gear and hit the gas again, the turbo is already up to speed.

A supercharger is physically attached to the engine, so it cannot remain spinning quickly when the engine slows down. So a blow-off valve would be pointless.

Now, even with a supercharger, there are some circumstances when the engine is spinning quickly, and the intake is not drawing much air. Like when engine braking on a downshift. You could simply 'blow-off' this air, but since the Supercharger is a drag on the engine, the by-pass valve opens and dumps the unused charge back into the supercharger's inlet. Since the inlet pressure and the outles pressure are similar, this reduces the drag the supercharger places on the engine. This is preferable to a blow-off or dump valve.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The blow-off valve works on a turbo, because the exhaust gasses blow by one turbine, which in turn spins another. So the exhaust blowing out of the engine, in turn compresses the inlet air.

When you down-shift, the back-pressure between the intake manifold and the turbo, causes resistance, and the turbo slows down.

The brilliant little blow-off valve opens at a pre-determined pressure (say, near max RPM) and lets the boosted air simply escape. But the turbo is still spinning very fast. So when you slam the shifter into the next gear and hit the gas again, the turbo is already up to speed.

A supercharger is physically attached to the engine, so it cannot remain spinning quickly when the engine slows down. So a blow-off valve would be pointless.

Now, even with a supercharger, there are some circumstances when the engine is spinning quickly, and the intake is not drawing much air. Like when engine braking on a downshift. You could simply 'blow-off' this air, but since the Supercharger is a drag on the engine, the by-pass valve opens and dumps the unused charge back into the supercharger's inlet. Since the inlet pressure and the outles pressure are similar, this reduces the drag the supercharger places on the engine. This is preferable to a blow-off or dump valve.
i understand:thumbsup:

i mean i dont expect any power increase i just want to get that blow off sound.

so is it possible to install? any would it decrese my power because as u said the air would not go back into the supercharger?:confused:

·
Registered
1965 Peel Trident, 1972 chevy vega
459 Posts
Well all I can say is that it would be kinda pointless, it would drain power, just buy a pully kit. You have a supercharger and you must not be able to hear it, superchargers sound much more badass when setup correctly! If you do it right you will get more HP and that thing will actually whine ( thats the signature sound of a supercharger) you will love it more then the silly hiss of power being blown away from the car ( silly turbo) you have direct and on demand power that is the beauty of the S.C. If you want I can help look for a kit for you, I have a relationships with performance shops in my area, I live in chicago, I could ship to you if needed.... Pully kits usually cost between 90-200$ u.s.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well all I can say is that it would be kinda pointless, it would drain power, just buy a pully kit. You have a supercharger and you must not be able to hear it, superchargers sound much more badass when setup correctly! If you do it right you will get more HP and that thing will actually whine ( thats the signature sound of a supercharger) you will love it more then the silly hiss of power being blown away from the car ( silly turbo) you have direct and on demand power that is the beauty of the S.C. If you want I can help look for a kit for you, I have a relationships with performance shops in my area, I live in chicago, I could ship to you if needed.... Pully kits usually cost between 90-200$ u.s.
thanx for the information :thumbsup:
i'm going to think about it.....first i'm going to search trough the nearby car part sales...maybe i can find it here.

tnx anyway.
i'll contact you if i dont find it here and when i get some more money :thumbsup:

·
Registered
791 Posts
You're absolutely right about the supercharger...

When I first got my car, I could not hear it. I know this because when I installed my induction kit last year, I heard my supercharger whining away for the first time! It was simply unmistakeable...and it's sounds grrreat!

I installed a Green Coton single cone induction kit. They are a french company. I tried K&N first but they didn't do one for the 230Komp. :confused:

As I have mentioned previously, the induction kit has vastly increased the amount of air going into the engine.. and the supercharger seems alot more happy about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts