Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do most people block out their License Plate registration numbers when posting pictures of their vehicles?
Mike:confused:

·
Registered
2000 ML55
565 Posts
Because there are some states that consider the owner registration information on vehicles to be public information...

Think of it this way... most people who own our brand of vehicle typically adhere to a lifestyle that could be considered "Above-Average." You pretty much have to in order to afford the upkeep and maintenance...

I'd simply prefer not allow certain internet lurkers to have the opportunity to gain information about me or my home. Not publicly displaying my vehicle identification plays a part in that.

Sure, if somebody wants to find me, I'm sure they could if they tried hard enough. But why make it easy, ya know?

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Interesting question Mike.

I read somewhere on this Forum about members being worried about potential theft/identification of members' homes/properties etc from their registraton plates.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I heartily agree with Loudgoldwing's comments above too.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2007 S550, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
Because local chop shops look for valid VINs...and use them to create duplicate vehicles. Also, insurance scammers use "other" clean VINs to put claims in on.

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts
I guess it is just safety common sense.. Crime is statistical in nature, so you never know when you are going to become a common or weird statistical crime/theft event.

Same reason, too, that people do not post their Social Security number or Driver's License, with any piece of personal information the wrong people, with the rigth access tools, can get other type of information about you and get you into deep trouble..

AC

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
I'd simply prefer not allow certain internet lurkers to have the opportunity to gain information about me or my home. Not publicly displaying my vehicle identification plays a part in that.
I for one don't understand the concept of blocking the plate numbers in pictures while the law requires the plate to be visible in public view. Also, there are much more easier way to get someones information than the plate number. Try googleing your name and typing your address in zillow. You'll be surprise.

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
Because local chop shops look for valid VINs...and use them to create duplicate vehicles. Also, insurance scammers use "other" clean VINs to put claims in on.
VINs are publicly visible. Look at the edge of your windshield. Chop shops don't have to look for them, it is presented to them!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Think of it this way... most people who own our brand of vehicle typically adhere to a lifestyle that could be considered "Above-Average." You pretty much have to in order to afford the upkeep and maintenance...
These trucks are had for under 10k now, hardly above-average, but anyway, i still agree with you that the less information you give a would be thief the better.

·
Registered
2007 ML 500, 2008 ML 550, 2011 ML 63 AMG
363 Posts
Cars are just the tip of the legal iceberg. Laws haven't kept pace with the information (super)highway.

There was a group arrested last year that was tied to a certain ethnic organized crime ring that had 2 parts, one scouted local (small) airports writing down the license numbers of all the aircraft tied down in the 'transient' parking areas, where the travelers are parked, and searching the owners name & address from the web.

The other part would then break into the owners home knowing they were likely far away from home. :mad:

Luckily the aviation community quickly realized there was a common factor and the police set up a sting and nabbed them in short order. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1999 ML320
352 Posts
I agree. I never understood why people blacked out their plates. At least in California, the owner's information is private.

Can you image if the information were public? Can you imagine what would happen with Road Rage incidents? Dangerous drivers would have some interesting visitors when they get home.

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
As a precaution, whenever I park for an extended period of time in a public place, airport for example, I always put a 3x5 card over the dash vin to make it harder to steal my car ID. Likewise, I keep the registration out of easy reach and never leave anything with my name/address in the front areas.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hundreds of people see my plate number every day driving to work so I still don't understand why hiding the numbers when posting pictures does anything. I also don't see the tie to VIN numbers which are usually not posted and cannot be seen in the pictures. As far as my VIN numbers, I slid a small piece of black cardboard over the last digits in my VIN number. The rest of the VIN number is the same for any ML of the same engine of that year.

I am more concerned about someone locally using my plate number for illicit purposes then someone on this forum located far away like Farid from South Africa.
Mike

·
Registered
BMW 2007 X3 3.0si, 1999 ML 320 -Sold-
356 Posts
Hundreds of people see my plate number every day driving to work so I still don't understand why hiding the numbers when posting pictures does anything. I also don't see the tie to VIN numbers which are usually not posted and cannot be seen in the pictures. As far as my VIN numbers, I slid a small piece of black cardboard over the last digits in my VIN number. The rest of the VIN number is the same for any ML of the same engine of that year.
Mike
Good point, but on the internet (esp. in a dedicated car forum as this) it is easy for anyone in the world to get the information. If you tried to get information about that certain year of car/whatever during the day when you drive, you could be sitting there for a long time. On the internet, it is fast results that can be used quickly to duplicate license plates, etc.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
I'm not particularly interested in strangers knowing who I am.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3
2,982 Posts
Moderators (as do members) do tend to upset a handful of people on occasion. I do believe that license plate information can be tracked in certain states. Last thing I want is some angry member we used the ban stick on sending hate mail, etc.

·
Registered
1997 W210 E320, 1999 W163 ML430, 2002 W203 C240
761 Posts
I was the person who said I wouldn't show my plates to another member due to possible theft of my truck. He arrogantly took a picture of his car and plates and posted them up. Then he stated he lives in a gated community. LMFAO!! Some people have nerve. LOL

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Moderators (as do members) do tend to upset a handful of people on occasion. I do believe that license plate information can be tracked in certain states. Last thing I want is some angry member we used the ban stick on sending hate mail, etc.
:big laugh:

I'm coming to get you boca (from all the way in West Africa) for unceremoniously closing my poll the other day!:D

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am more concerned about someone locally using my plate number for illicit purposes then someone on this forum located far away like Farid from South Africa.
Mike
I'm coming to get you boca (from all the way in West Africa) for unceremoniously closing my poll the other day!:D
OK so I was wrong -----
Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts