Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E300D
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well is is cold again and my benz is parked(garaged) i had a hard time starting it up but once i plugged it in it started right up my question is it safe to leave it plugged in for weeks at a time will it hurt it any [|)][|)]

·
Registered
1997 E300D
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
14 degrees and the wind about 30mph i feel i live in alaska BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR[:D][:D]

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Block heaters use a LOT of electricity! Like he said, you would waste a lot of power, but you could also burn out your heater. I don't imagine you want to be lying under your car replacing your heater in that weather. If you want to leave it plugged in constantly, invest in a multi-setting home light timer. You can set the heater to go on and off a few times a day. Again, like he said, you only need to heat for 3-5 hours before you plan to start the car.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
at 14 degrees i guess you might need the block heater.
it certainly helps to get a quick start. as other have said 3 hours of block heating is sufficient. any more and you put unnecessary hours on the element and waste electricity=$$$

just as a side note your engine does not feel wind chill! only people do. even if it is -18 windchill the engine still thinks it is +14.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
84300DTurbo - 3/9/2005 3:57 PM
just as a side note your engine does not feel wind chill! only people do. even if it is -18 windchill the engine still thinks it is +14.
Hey turbo, you would be suprised how many people don't realize that about the wind chill. I argued with my mother for several minutes before giving up that the only effect wind chill would have on your car is that a hot engine would reach ambiant temperature faster the lower the wind chill is. She, still to this day, does not believe me.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
heh u didn't get the joke - i thought you would ...

engines don't 'think' either... they only 'know'!!

seriously back on topic
the point is that the engine is iron and it is only effected by ambient temperature, wind has nothing to do with it. it does not 'feel' colder or warmer than it really is. by the same logic the engine can certainly overheat in -18 deg F ambient temp.

so when using the block heater it only makes sense to heat for as long as it takes to get the block warmed sufficiently to make for a quick start, which is about 3 hours in my experience at temps around +15 deg F or less, no matter what the wind speed.
my .02

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
84300DTurbo - 3/9/2005 6:52 PM

heh u didn't get the joke - i thought you would ...

engines don't 'think' either... they only 'know'!!
I didn't even notice the "thinks". Funny[:D]
You're quite right, except for one thing. Lower windchills would allow for the engine to dissapate a bit more heat than would occur if there was no wind. However, I doubt if that would make much more than a 15 minute difference on the ammount of time needed for block heating.

EDIT: I just noticed he keeps his car in the garage. There's no windchill in there.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo
1,606 Posts
Stevenpfaff - 3/9/2005 9:22 PM

EDIT: I just noticed he keeps his car in the garage. There's no windchill in there.

well if nothing else there's less snow in there!

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
at least he has that to look foward to.

Off topic; I'm thinking about taking the engine out of my wreck and letting it run at 40% power, in my garage, to supply my electricity and heat to my house. I think I could rig up a series of alternators to the engine to give me enough electricity to run my entire house, and use the heat the engine generates to heat my house, while the engine runs on WVO. Am I a dreamer?

EDIT:40% of the engines power equates to about 37 kilowatt/hours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts