Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading this forum, I understand that Blizzak's are pretty good snow tires. After last winter with no snows, I am running out to get some this year. My tire guy has suggested that Blizzaks have some adhesive that makes them great in Year 1, but not so good after that. Do people have this experience? Also, which Blizzaks are suggested? I thought there was only one Blizzak, but now see a WS-50 and an LM-22. Not sure what the difference is. Any guidance would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
clk320
4 Posts
From www.suv.com/EDU/WinterDriving/

With increasing restrictions on studded snow tires since the mid-1980's- especially in the U.S.-Bridgestone has become the leading manufacturer of studless "ice tires" for passenger cars. And, in 1992, this tire company developed the first winter tire for the SUV and light truck market when tests had demonstrated that these vehicles, because of their weight and design dynamics, showed poorer handling with slippery and low-traction conditions on all-season tires, even when equipped with four-wheel drive.

The original Blizzak WS-15 featured a multi-cellular compound --rubber with tiny pores -- which displaced the thin film of water that forms between the tire and ice surface. Additionally, Blizzak's zig-zag patterned tread creates a biting edge that improves grip and is rated for speeds of between 60 and 80 mph. In the first seven years, Blizzak sales were over 50 million in 15 countries.

Blizzak comes now in three formats to meet various vehicle and climate differences. The WS-50 "WinterBiter"is an updated version of the WS-15 that has been designed for heavy-snow areas. Setting it apart are a new "Tube" multicell compound in addition to it pores, which give more durability. The WS-50 is recommended for both cars and minivans.

The MZ-01 and MZ-02 "IceGripper" models are designed for drivers who live in regions that get a mix of precipitation and ice. Specialized for peak performance, the tread pattern has a large circumferential groove that dissipates water quickly. These models feature "Link" multicell technology that makes these tires especially soft and adept on the ice.

The biggest news, however, has been the Winter Dueler, which applies the proven Blizzak technology to a light truck/SUV tire. While today's popular sport-utilities inspire confidence in winter weather, four-wheel drive doesn't help when trying to stop or corner on snow or ice or other low-traction surfaces. As with passenger-car tires, the all-season or even "all-terrain" rubber on the typical SUV is designed primarily for ride comfort, long wear, and fuel economy while compromising snow traction. The Winter Dueler comes in metric, P-metric, LT-metric, and flotation sizes to fit sport-utes large and small, from the Lincoln Navigator to the Toyota RAV4.

Short treadlife has always been an issue with snow tires. On all Blizzaks, approximately 55% of the tread is the ice-gripping Multicell compound. With the original WS-15, the remaining 45% of the tread was a conventional all-season material, allowing the user to keep the tires on the vehicle after their final winter season. On the new generation Blizzaks, however, the last 45% of the tread is designed for winter use, though not as an ice tire. The standard UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grading - a treadlife measure) does not apply to winter tires.

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
a couple of things .....

adhesive in the tire ???? I think he's sniffing some adhesive

the LM22 is a high performance winter tire which sacrifices some snow and ice traction to maintain better dry street handling

the WS50 is an all out winter tire that offers exceptional snow traction but, feels like a marshmellow when asked to do some cornering in the dry

what model Benz do you have because, some of them do not like the soft compound and tread blocks of the WS50

·
Registered
2006 S 350
7 Posts
seems like you know quite abit about tires. i have a 2003 e500. last year , it performed horribly in the snow.i want to get studded tires, but i am concerned about giving up the driving performance tthat i bought the car for in the first place. i kive in new jersey and i would expect to ride on them from christmas till easter. any thoughts?

·
Registered
CL55
43 Posts
I have an '04 CL55 with staggered rims (F 245/45-18 8.5x18, R 265/40-19 9x18) and am in the market for snows. Tirerack said that I could put 245/45-18 tires on the REAR rims. As a sanity check, is this true? A skinnier tire on a wider rim?

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
I've heard great things about Nokian tires from finland. No personal experience with them however.

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
I would not recommend studded tires for your car ... you would be amazed at how well a true winter tire would do on your car .... take a look at the pilot Alpin PA2 or the LM22/25 Blizzak or even the Winter Sport M3 all of which will make your car not only drivable but, enjoyable in winter conditions.

I would not recommend the same size tire on staggered wheels size do to the variation in sidewall deflection rates

1 - 7 of 7 Posts