Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes Benz SL 500
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am curious if anyone has added to the rearview side mirrors. I am used to being able quicly glance to either side and clear the lane. I have a very small
concave mirror attached to the right side mirror glass. Works okay, but given the cost of replacing either of these mirrors, it makes me a bit nervous. I had to replace one of these little blindspot mirrors and scratched the hell out of the mirror glass on my truck. ( Sad lesson for my impatience)
I found this

AutoSport Catalog - Blind-Spot Mirrors 800-953-0814

and it looks close to stock shape/fit..... Although they make no mention, I am pretty certain this mirror also is photo-sensitive and will darken at night.
Even on E-bay, this mirror ships from Israel, at around 22 usd delivered. While it may be ugly as sin, it is not as ugly as dent from rapid lane change instead of hard braking :) One might even be able to mount this under the mirror...

thanks for ideas and opinions,
Rock

·
Registered
'97 SL500, 06 Subaru Outback, LL Bean 3.0
735 Posts
Hello,
I am curious if anyone has added to the rearview side mirrors. I am used to being able quicly glance to either side and clear the lane. I have a very small
concave mirror attached to the right side mirror glass. Works okay, but given the cost of replacing either of these mirrors, it makes me a bit nervous. I had to replace one of these little blindspot mirrors and scratched the hell out of the mirror glass on my truck. ( Sad lesson for my impatience)
I found this

AutoSport Catalog - Blind-Spot Mirrors 800-953-0814

and it looks close to stock shape/fit..... Although they make no mention, I am pretty certain this mirror also is photo-sensitive and will darken at night.
Even on E-bay, this mirror ships from Israel, at around 22 usd delivered. While it may be ugly as sin, it is not as ugly as dent from rapid lane change instead of hard braking :) One might even be able to mount this under the mirror...

thanks for ideas and opinions,
Rock
I have absolutely no blind spots with the stock mirrors on my '97 SL500. I adjust them to pick up anything before it leaves my inside mirror, and to stay visible until it's at least abreast. Same for my present & past Subarus. Never had a surprise or a problem.
If I lean over just a little one way or the other I can see the lane all the way back.

·
Registered
05 C215 CL 500, 96 SL 500 PANO,96 W124 220CE,03 Smart 450 Cabrio, 96 W124 220CE, 07 Ford Transit!
431 Posts
i thought that post 99 mirrors had the convex outside bit, it would be the only reason for me to upgrade to the newer style. I know what you mean though, my trucks mirrors give me a panoramic view

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,122 Posts
The convex mirror is only on the passenger side, it makes objects to appears further away and so a warning label on the mirror is requires here in USA (we have warning labels on everything).
So Tommy, if you get a US passenger mirror, then you will have it on your driver's side.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
True enough on proper adjustment. Checking around the forum, the most common fix is setting the mirrors correctly. I have always adjusted so I could see almost straight back from the drivers seat, seemed easier on my eyes. Before I attach the big lump of an auxillary mirror on my factory side view, I will drive with the adjustment set to see just a tiny piece of the rear
fender well, perhaps this will help. thanks for the input. Interesting enough, I did a search on the R129 forum for blind spot mirror, got nothing. Another search for the entire forum gave me 66 pages of mirror blind spot questions/ answers, don't know that this means a thing, except I was not setting my mirrors correctly. :) And to think I celebrate my 40th anniversary of getting a drivers license in December ..

http://cartalk.com/content/features/mirrors/step1.html

Link to simple adjustment suggestion

·
Registered
735 Posts
True enough on proper adjustment. Checking around the forum, the most common fix is setting the mirrors correctly. I have always adjusted so I could see almost straight back from the drivers seat, seemed easier on my eyes. Before I attach the big lump of an auxillary mirror on my factory side view, I will drive with the adjustment set to see just a tiny piece of the rear
fender well, perhaps this will help.
You're still looking too far in. I can never see any part of my car in either mirror. I have to lean a little toward each mirror to see all the way back down the road (which is fully covered by my interior mirror) and still don't see any part of my car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
mlrb2113, your prob right, We have been having wet, ugly weather and the SL has stayed in the garage. Tommorrow I will do the "out is better " settings and find a new comfort zone.

560sec944, I have occasionally seen those things on a variety of large road crawling vehicles, and for some reason it made me uneasy, always got around and away from them. Like maybe the driver could only move there eyes ;).
I dont know, do they work ? looks scary to me... thanks for the advice...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eh, to bad about the pedestrians, but you have to like Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear's alleged quote on bicycles ...

Clarkson’s highway code on cyclists: “Trespassers in the motorcars domain, they do not pay road tax and therefore have no right to be on the road, some of them even believe they are going fast enough to not be an obstruction. Run them down to prove them wrong.”

·
Registered
735 Posts
:rolleyes:Pretty sharp, but it's obviously looking way too far in.

Seriously, EVERYONE sets their mirrors too far in. No wonder they talk about 'blind spots" and the dangers therefrom. Since they stated putting side mirrors on cars I've never ever had a blind spot. I started off getting them right by going slow past parked cars, sometimes in a parking lot. No need to do that now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts