Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 GL450 and initial issue was right rear corner was deflated. I ordered 2 arnott rear air springs to replace each side. After replacing the right rear, I followed the Arnott procedure of lowering the vehicle to level, leaving the corner jacked up enough to not put all the weight on the flat air spring. Started the car up, and it would not inflate. Used the raise vehicle function and still would not inflate. So, I turned to SDS and went to the area where you can test each air spring. It will fill it up with air and then test that it is holding. It filled it up to the point that it blew apart. Sounded like a gun going off at 1:00 am it was so loud.

So, in that I had the 2nd one still in the box, I replaced the blown one with it. This time being much more careful with SDS. I still can not get the rear air springs to inflate. They are now both down on the axle. The front ones raise fine. SDS doesn't read any codes, etc. However, when I run the function to test the strut, the graphic on the screen as it performs inflation is completely red giving no indication of any air and it is in the -100 range(possible lower) as the air spring is being pumped up. So it seems my issue is that SDS is unable to determine the pressure of the rear air springs. The other function of showing the pressure is working however and indicates there is like 4 mm of pressure in each side. I am recalling this from memory and will post some screenshots and more detailed information when I get back to it.

Maybe it is normal for SDS to be at a negative number when starting to inflate rear air springs. I don't know. All I know is that is is only displaying red across the screen and no green as it is inflating the strut. I am being much more careful and stopping inflation after short bit since I am not seeing any rise in the air spring that is being inflated and don't want to blow the 2nd on out. I am not seeing that behavior on the front ones. Obliviously, I can get air to the spring, but SDS doesn't seem to be able to read the pressure. If the level indicator was malfunctioning, I would think that SDS would pick it up and read a code or indicate an issue.

Thanks for any suggestions. My next steps will be going through the diagnoses suggested by SDS to see if I can figure out what the issue is. Up until now, there has been no indication or codes thrown for any problem.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I had one of my new bilstein ones blow a few weeks after replacement. Upon examination by them for a warranty replacement it was determined to be a manufacturer defect. In your case it sounds like you have an air leak some where going back to the rear or a faulty valve block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have attached a shot of SDS is reporting for level sensors. I will be posting more. The right rear is way off compared to the others. I am going to say that the Right rear level sensor is bad. However, no codes are being generated.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
That happened to me.
Your valve block is the problem. And while you are at it, change the level sensors and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the timely reply. I finally got a chance to work on it today. I replaced the valve block and the exact same problem persisted where I could not get the back to air up. However, it was the level sensor, but it was a mistake on my part. The readings were way off on the level sensor - the one I had removed to get the air shock out and the new one in. Then I thought I should check the level sensor and remove it to get ready for the new one I had on order. However, what the problem was that I had put the arm of the sensor pointing to the middle of the vehicle instead of pointing out. With the arm of the sensor, one can put it the wrong way, which I did. I removed the 1 bolt of the sensor, swung the arm the correct way and presto everything worked. I am now wondering if that was my issue all along, but will never know. Hope this lesson learned helps the next person. Interesting, even with the sensor way off, no code was generated.

Swapping out the valve block was not an issue. I replaced the compressor filter while I was in there. I had order a pair of the air shocks, but couldn't get a wrench on the full air shock to remove the air line. I decided to just leave it until it starts to leak or goes out. I really should have replaced it when both the rears were flat. Oh well. Can only muster so much energy for these projects on my only day off.; Nice to have the vehicle back on the road and enjoying the airmatic suspension.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can see from the picture of the levels from SDS that the right rear one is way off. That is a sure indication that maybe the arm is pointing the wrong way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
additive
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing