Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I changed onze of the main actuators of the soft top because of a leakage.

The system functioned initially but stops halve way sinds then. I assume it needs to be deaired. Can not find a way to do it.

Could use some help.

Arie

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,955 Posts
The system is self-bleeding, so it is some other problem you are having

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Suggestions?

Thanks,

This will safe me lots of searching:smile
Can you think of any other cause?

The top moves up a bit and after several movements it just goes all the way.

Arie

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,955 Posts
Can you post a video of it?

·
18,955 Posts
The video is very helpful. I want to make sure I understand the operation you were performing. Were you lifting the top switch the entire time? I ask this because I see that the top is almost opened fully until the cover begins to lower, then it reverses at the 0:16 mark on the video. This usually happens when the trunk luggage partition is not fully lowered. This could either be something in the trunk obstructing it, or a weak strut on the luggage cover causing it to "open" from the weight of the top on it. But I've never seen it reverse fully like that. It usually just stops and and gives you a message on the instrument panel: "Close Trunk Partition". Did you change the button to press down (close) on it? At what point in the video did you do that?

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Rodney,

The top went initially fully open, I stopped before it fully folded. Closed it again and opened it then the problem became apparent, it stopped while the pump keeps running, I flipped the switch to open a bit and tried again, always using the switch, several times.

I operate the switch to perform the movements, forward and backward, motion just stops at random and a little forward movement helps a bit (eventually it picks up and opens completely).

The trunk partition is a known issue to me and I checked that thoroughly, there is no indication anyway.

Strangely, as you can see, some times it just opens at once (like it did initially), the next time it just won't work properly.
I assumed the failure is caused by trapped air after I replaced the actuator but you are sure that can't be the issue, so........

Greetings,

Arie

·
18,955 Posts
OK, I see. If the pump keeps running and the top is not moving, then this is not a microswitch problem. I really don't believe it's air as the system is self-bleeding. My suspicion would be a bad pump. But also check the fluid level to make sure there are no other leaks.

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I see. If the pump keeps running and the top is not moving, then this is not a microswitch problem. I really don't believe it's air as the system is self-bleeding. My suspicion would be a bad pump. But also check the fluid level to make sure there are no other leaks.
Thanks for the advice, you are right.

The problem was caused by an obstruction in the return line of the lh actuator. I first had the pump overhauld by tophydraulics and when this did not help I was guided through the system by them.

Replacing the pump was easy using the instructions from tophydraulics (http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/w209pumpremoval.pdf?ps_full_site=1).

Arie

·
Registered
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320, 95 E320 cab, Tesla X, Ferrari 360, etc
949 Posts
Thanks for the advice, you are right.

The problem was caused by an obstruction in the return line of the lh actuator. I first had the pump overhauld by tophydraulics and when this did not help I was guided through the system by them.

Replacing the pump was easy using the instructions from tophydraulics (http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/w209pumpremoval.pdf?ps_full_site=1).

Arie
This was an interesting case to troubleshoot together. Apparently, some piston seal remnants from the main lift cylinders had made their way into the hydraulic lines, and their size was such that they would not be able to exit the hoses once in there. The top was able to move in one direction because the seal remnants were lodging themselves at a pinhole in such a way that they were fully blocking the fluid flow only in one direction. We had only seen this kind of problem in R170 SLKs before. The part number for the hose set going to the left top drive cylinder is 209 800 01 81. Top Hydraulics manufactures almost all convertible top hoses used in modern convertibles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts