Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I changed my fuel filters today (pre-filter & main filter) using the procedure I found in ALLData (Yes -I should have checked this forum first). The AllData procedue contained this note.

Note : The fuel system is self-bleeding during starting. This is due to the increased delivery rate of the fuel pump, the restrictors in the filter upper part (73), and the injection pump.

Based on this note, I thought that an air bleeding sequence was not necessary. Well, it ain't so since I appear to have air in the injectors as the engine will not start. I did go back and loosen the outlet banjo bolt on the filter and cranked the engine until fuel came out, but apparently air has gotten beyond the filter into the injection pump/injectors.

My question is what is the best way to bleed air from the injector pump/injectors?

Rob

·
Registered
93 Mercedes 300SD
214 Posts
A little late on this reply

First time I did this it worked self bleeding. I had the car pointed down hill and fuel kept flowing through the lines so I got it done fast. Second time was on a side hill (roughly level as far as front to back.) I didn't have the fuel going everywhere, but it did not self bleed. A great tip that I have not tried until it was too late was to fill the new filter with fuel before putting it in. I'd say this and pointing down hill will make some mess, but get the job done for sure. I believe the self bleeding procedure is actually in the manual too. It ended up going to the mechanic to get bleed (only $40, but then had a bunch of stuff done and before long my wallet was bleeding.)

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
How long have you cranked the engine? Are you flooring the accelerator pedal while doing so? The manual states that you can crank up to 1 minute @ a clip, up to 3 X in a row while trying to get the system to bleed.

Cracking the lines @ the injector will hasten things.

Jonathan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just wanted to say I loosened the banjo bolt after changing the fuel filter on my S350 TurboDiesel. After cranking a few times, the air was purged from the line and the engine had started.
Fuel was splattering everywhere, but I quickly ran to the front of the car and tightened the bolt until no more diesel was leaking.

After a few minutes of cleaning up, the car started without any problems. Hooray!

Thanks Benzworld.org

1 - 4 of 4 Posts