Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All was well with the first 3 corners of my brake flush this Sunday, but I snapped the bleed screw off on the driver's side front.

Wondering if anyone knows:
1) Was there only the one supplier for the front brake in 1989? I know until 1988 it was Girling and Teves (from the Haynes), but the selection on RockAuto is downright confusing - they only ID girlings, most don't indicate either.

2) Can anyone confirm the bleed screw is M8x1.25? If possible, I'd like to just replace it.

3) Anyone have experience drilling out the bleed screw?

4) To prevent air getting up to the ABS Unit, can I clamp the brake line?

Thanks!
Bruce 190D 1989 60K miles

·
Registered
Blue/Blue 1985 190D 2.2 Auto, Red/Palomino 1984 190D 2.2 5MT
561 Posts
Well, I've never experienced this before, but I can't see how you'd be able to remove a snapped bleeder with the caliper on the car. Once you do get it out, speed bleeders are a good option. I think they're very convienient.

As for clamping the brake hose, EricTheCarGuy says you'll be fine. I agree for a few reasons, one of which is that a healthy brake hose should not be damaged by clamping for a little bit. If it collapses, it was old anyway and you should replace all 4 wheels' worth. That said, don't leave it clamped for days on end. :eek:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3 8v w/ '87 5-speed and 3.27 rear, 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C, 2018 Triumph Bonneville
704 Posts
Once you do get it out, speed bleeders are a good option. I think they're very convenient.
This option may revolutionize your auto-life. Bleeding brakes and clutches with these made me feel stupid for not doing this years ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts