Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me, Daimler, for I have sinned.....

So I'm looking at various pricing options for future reference for the Car Whose Brand Shall Not Be Named, and I see the specs for a 740i engine. And I see a picture of a 740i engine. And I see a picture of a 740i 6 speed manual transmission. And I realize they would both so fit in a 107 chassis with such minor modification, because the 740i engine isn't even close to a 90 degree and the transmission is a cool Getrag, just like AMG used, and the Brand Which Shall Not Be Named uses a hydraulic master/slave setup for clutch activation. And I know, from perusing the intertubes, that you can pick up a 99 740i for chump change. And I wonder....

How much forgiveness would I have to seek if I considered dropping a 290 HP engine and Getrag 6 speed with a great 3.76 LSD into a 107 chassis? Would I have enough time between rounds of penance to actually drive the thing and enjoy the holy shit out of it?

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Can't be any worse than a chevy/benz, - let us pray

·
Registered
1976 450 SLC. (working, in need of paint)/1987 300E/1989 635 CSI/2004 Honda Element (appliance)
142 Posts
Hens Teeth...

My understanding were those unnamed bavarian cars are related, those 7 series with 6 speeds are rarer than hens teeth. You do have options though. The mid '80s series 5 and 6 used the getrag that splits (do not have the number off of the top of my head, buti believe it is a 365???? it is the same one that was used by AMG for the 107's conversion) so you would only need that and have a collar made to fit your 560. It also uses hydraulic clutches, so the clutch pedal assembly from maybe a 123 or 124 series could work in your 107...
As far as engines go, specially the europe version engines of said 7 series made by said unnamed company had nickasil linings that quickly deteriorated with the fuel found around here leading to a loss of compression, and major bucks in repairs... Those parts are no cheaper than those of our MB's....

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,900 Posts
My understanding were those unnamed bavarian cars are related, those 7 series with 6 speeds are rarer than hens teeth. You do have options though. The mid '80s series 5 and 6 used the getrag that splits (do not have the number off of the top of my head, buti believe it is a 365???? it is the same one that was used by AMG for the 107's conversion) so you would only need that and have a collar made to fit your 560. It also uses hydraulic clutches, so the clutch pedal assembly from maybe a 123 or 124 series could work in your 107...
As far as engines go, specially the europe version engines of said 7 series made by said unnamed company had nickasil linings that quickly deteriorated with the fuel found around here leading to a loss of compression, and major bucks in repairs... Those parts are no cheaper than those of our MB's....
Confirmed on another continent, Afrika.
AFAIR, it was related to the sulphur in the fuel that would erode cylindre sleeves.
A friend with excessive knowledge of Before Mentioned Wehicle said once to me that if I think of 740i of similar age, only to look at those with more than 200k km's on the zeiger and no blue smoke.

·
Registered
382 Posts
For about $600 you get a 400HP 6.2 out of an Escalade or how about a supercharged 4.6 from a Mustahng Cobra that only needs a chip and pully change to make 650HP, that would look sweet under the hood.

Dan

·
Registered
1974 450sl 1994 bmw 530i 1995 f150 2007 FJCruiser trd se
41 Posts
I have the 530i 3liter v-8 with the nickasil lining and no probs here. Plus BMW replaced those that had the lining problem up to 100k miles anyways. :)

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would kind of be a pointless swap.
Anything other than an MB engine would devalue an MB, but at least they're both German.

Putting in a Chevy engine would be beyond blasphemy, and even an old reprobate like me couldn't go there.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,212 Posts
Anything other than an MB engine would devalue an MB, but at least they're both German.

Putting in a Chevy engine would be beyond blasphemy, and even an old reprobate like me couldn't go there.
If you going to stay German. Put in a real German engine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I'm middling fair as a mechanic, but all I can do is bow at the feet of the master who pulled that off.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,212 Posts
I think I'm middling fair as a mechanic, but all I can do is bow at the feet of the master who pulled that off.
No bowing. If your ever in CT just come for a ride.

Bottom line is that whether you install an Air cooled VW engine or a Bugatti W16 the challenges are basically the same with the exception of maybe the exhaust. So if you are going to bite the bullet for and engine swap choose wisely.

I believe a really cool swap for a 107 would be a supercharged M113 out of an SL50 AMG. More power than the V12 and lighter weight than the original V8.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts