Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey GUys,

I don't know how many of you guys have experienced but recently (on Friday the 13th of all days) when I was driving back from the airport, I noticed that I could not see temperature panel cluster at night. For some odd reason the normal green backlighting is off. The other lights (like the red light when you push the A/C) comes on but ONLY the back green light is off. In the mornign, I can clearly tell the temperature settings. That isn't messed up..just the backlighting that is suppose to turn on at night.

I have a 2000 W210 and I've been mystified as to what the problem is. Does anyone know if there is a separate fuse for just this backlight that could be blown? Seems odd to me that they would make a fuse just for the backlight of the temperature thing..just so you guys have some sort of idea as to what I'm talking about..i've included a picture. haha

Any expertise is welcome.
Thanks in advance!!

P.S. Below is NOT a picture of my car but just for purposes of showing what I'm talking about that isn't working right. haha THanks once again

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
You quite likely just have burned out bulbs - the back-lighting is provided by replacable lamps. It takes a set of keys (inserted in the slots at the lower corners - you'll see 'em) to withdraw the head unit, but changing the bulbs is inexpensive and easy after getting the head out.

Brian - Yakima, WA
2000 E320

·
Registered
2000 E320
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Insert the keys where? Do you mean specifically the MBZ keys (2 of them?)? I seriously looked and didn't find a hole(s) to put no keys in but I did notice 2 slits at the bottom of both sides of the "auto" button but I am not sure you mean this. Thanks for the help! I totally appreciate it and I can't wait to see the temperature again in my car when I drive at night. haha

·
Registered
96' E320
307 Posts
Insert a long thin piece of metal or something into the two slits at the bottom of the auto buttons. At a certain point the A/C unit will come loose. (2 inches or so) Tip: when reinstalling the plugs into the top of the A/C unit it is important to remember to position the locking clips at the lowest point on the plug first before inserting the plug. If you don't the connection will be loose and the unit will not work properly. I had a terrible time figuring this out for myself. If that makes no sense to you I understand, its hard to explain![:)]

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
It is the same as removing the radio. Use a set of radio removal keys to pull the module out in the same way the radio comes out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem and wanted to know if anyone knows what kind of bulbs I have to order to replace the old ones.

Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts