Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 SEL
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 420sel that is in excellent condition except for the chrome trim which is dull and around the windows milky looking. I have tried to polish it out with no luck. Has anyone here de-chromed or blacked our a 420 or 560 sel and what was used? Also if you have any pictures I would love to see the finished result. Rod..

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
The "chrome" is not really chrome. There is traditional chrome on the bumpers, but not the window trim. It is aluminum polished out, then coated with a clear.

I have been planning a "blackout" job on my coupe and have collected a spare set of everything up top.

What you have to do is strip off the clear with a caustic chemical, then you can either polish it out, or paint it. But then you need to shoot a clear back over it. A good quality automotive clear is preferable. You can then use any level of finish ou want: Gloss, flat, semi, demi, whatever.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1974 450SL
223 Posts
I've been thinking about using 3M chrome vinyl wrap. It's pretty cheap, seemingly easy to install, and holds up for about 3 years per application.

Kent's on the case as well. I'm interested to see what he comes up with.

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
I saw Shark Hide on the Speed channel. Might be worth a shot.

Sharkhide

Mike

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
It is aluminum polished out, then coated with a clear.
Mike, I've been under the impression they're anodized aluminum. I did not see any clear coat on the trim pieces.. but I did not put a magnifying glass to one to confirm.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Mike, I've been under the impression they're anodized aluminum. I did not see any clear coat on the trim pieces.. but I did not put a magnifying glass to one to confirm.
When I first redid my car in '08, the guy across the way redid my chrome for me. He started on it and then told me there wass some kind of clear coat on it, ,and he had to use something caustic (I don't remember what it was he said) and he said he had scrub it off. After he polished it, he told me to give them to Mauricio and have him clear them.a

Then when I reinstalled them, the screw was to long and it poked the chrome (These were the two corner chrome trims on the trunk). So I had to take them back to him and he had to strip them again and hammer it out and rep oldish and have Mauricio respray it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts