Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
G560, GSR 500
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gents,

soon, one of the oldest questions in automobile history will be answered.

black or white ?
alluminium alloy vs. cast iron !!
M117 or M110 ?
cab vs. swb-wagon !!
evil or good ?
Flo vs. Arnd !!!

Im happy to announce that Arnd in his G280 and me in the homemade GSR500 are going against each other in next weeks GERMAN RALLYE TRAIL.
http://www.rallyetrail.de

Anyway:
Arnd, all the best for you mate,
may the faster one win.

To all: Folks, it doesn't matter whether you're keeping your fingers crossed for arnd or me, keep it crossed for the Mercedes G-Wagen

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Sounds like a death match to me.

May the best G win!![:p]

·
Registered
1987 280GE
352 Posts
DUTCH - 4/27/2005 8:33 AM

Sounds like a death match to me.

May the best G win!![:p]
*lol* call me Mad Max .... [:eek:)]

·
Registered
1987 280GE
352 Posts
AND THE WINNER IS ....

ME! [:D]

Okay, Flo's 500GE had of cause the better sound and had been much faster WHEN he was driving ... but he lost to much time while fixing loosing parts or when he had ripped of the driveline between tranny and VG080 ... but every morning Flo had been standing at the line for the start again ... [:)]

My good old 280GE had served well ... only get stuck 2 times and had 1 flat tire ...

more soon ... [;)]

Greetings, Arnd!

more => http://action.motocamp.de/rallye/rt05/galerie/

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,198 Posts
and I thought that I was hard on my truck [}:)][}:)][}:)]

·
Registered
G560, GSR 500
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okok here i'm, and shame on me.

but it was hughe fun, and i wanted to know where the weak parts on my car are, and that i know now.
good news: no thermic issues.
that flange/muff on the gearbox that i screwed was bad luck, and the most annoying bid. (took me 4 hours of driving to berlin and back, and another 2,5 hours at the mercedes benz emergencyhelp to get the part.) but the worst was that i couldn't make the time good that i lost on that bid.
well, in the end it was good fun, and now we can prepare the cars for the rally el chott in afrika.
at least i had the gratification to pull arnd out of a mudhole where he was stranded for aprox 10 minutes[8D]

ahja, and something else, best we don't get into the argue who had the better co-driver, but my one is extremly cool [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D](see pic)

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
BEAUTIFUL!

The picture of flo working on the exhaust, where the only tool in view is a HATCHET, and the co driver looks on with cool drink in hand, leather pants and all, is really priceless!

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had lots of fun. That one steep downhill looks totally INSANE!

-Dave G.

·
Registered
280ge
574 Posts
Ok that looks fun, so how does one get to enter this rallye. How long is it for and where abouts, I cant read german to would need translations.

·
Registered
G560, GSR 500
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ian,

3 days in eastern germany. you can find english information on the webside:
www.offroad-pro.de

btw: we had an original series 3 landrover of the english army participating, and they had this stupid "english army / how am i driving ? call 0800 blablabla" sticker on the back. i was tempted to call the number and let them know that they were bloody slow [;)][:D]

dave,

good that you liked the show. the hill wasn't that bad, unless you would have braked. (rollover programmed)

and the axe didn't work out, i had to use a saw [:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
280ge
574 Posts
thanks for that

Ian (otherwise known as peter perfect from UK forum)have enjoyed your post on our uk forum,you stirr them up.

·
Registered
G560, GSR 500
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ianwatsoni - 5/10/2005 9:23 AM

thanks for that

Ian (otherwise known as peter perfect from UK forum)have enjoyed your post on our uk forum,you stirr them up.
i know that this is you.
i just didn't want to post there anything anymore these day's, cause given the fact that my rally car is based on a 460ty (although with a V8 PETROL engine), some of these english aborigines could aberrant belive that i'm now "...one of them..."
[}:)][;)][}:)][;)]

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Okay, now that you mention it, I can see the saw on teh ground in the first picture. I still like the idea of getting it done with the axe though. [:p]

Looking at the size of the tires and the size of the engine in your truck, I can't help but think what a great job the MB guys did with the axles and such, for them to be able to handle so much more than their original load.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences as you carry the G banner into the battle of off-road competition!

-Dave G.

·
Registered
G560, GSR 500
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well dave,

after this event i'm going to change my axles and not going to renovate them anymore.
and allthough everything on the G is relative strong, we "helped a bid" for the axle in the front to keep up with jumps and stuff, so that it wouldn't bent.... (see pic)
to the inside of the axle: i killed the back difflock completly that weekend. (was almost round allready) so, agreed, it's all good and solid, but if i wanted i could break it all on 500 yards with a switched off brain.

Attachments

·
Registered
G560, GSR 500
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
found a pair of 5,29 from an armored 461 vehicle in very good condition for less than 2000 euro's (the pair) just tonight.
don't know whether they're fullfloaters (would certainly like those most). bought them blind on the phone from a guy i trust. will pick them up in 2 weeks, and post specs and stuff.
but i've been assured that they DON'T have the fullblown "binding beam" ?! (german: unterzug) like on my G560, because that thing is a bid of a stopper in mud and sand...

·
Registered
280ge
574 Posts
Thats a shame, I know ours is not like this forum but its good to see something diffrent on ours especially these off road events as thats more my line. Go to France every year. Also going to Val de saire this year and going to the German meet in June which takes us round the nurburg ring as well as off roading. Looking forward to that. Just cut the roof of my 280ge to make it lighter for off roading.

Have I still got first refusal on your 463 560[;)]

·
Registered
1987 280GE
352 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
RE: MORE PICTURES ...

Great pictures guys, thanks for sharing them!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts