Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My (company) budget doesn't allow to have a mettalic colour.

Is "black" really different from "obsidian black"?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
My (company) budget doesn't allow to have a mettalic colour.

Is "black" really different from "obsidian black"?

Thanks!
If you are referring to 040 Black, Yes, it is different from Obsidian Black (197). Obsidian Black is metallic and also a "self healing" paint being used by MBz. :)

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
158 Posts
Its basically a new technology that under decent conditions, the paint will "heal" itself. It will eliminate fine scratches that come from everyday wear and tear. Infiniti is now using it on their new models as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you are referring to 040 Black, Yes, it is different from Obsidian Black (197). Obsidian Black is metallic and also a "self healing" paint being used by MBz. :)
I chose Obsidian Black for my upcoming C280 wagon. But the saleswoman never told me that the paint can "heal" itself. It's great if it's true, though!

·
Registered
'15 C400, Formerly '11 C350 - Formerly '08 C300
137 Posts
I picked up some minor scratches from a car wash - they haven't healed yet. I did notice that with a good wax they aren't as noticeable. Also very very light swirls from minuscule dirt from rub down / hand drying show up if the sun hits it just right. But it is a very nice color and gleams more than the black.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I picked up some minor scratches from a car wash - they haven't healed yet. I did notice that with a good wax they aren't as noticeable. Also very very light swirls from minuscule dirt from rub down / hand drying show up if the sun hits it just right. But it is a very nice color and gleams more than the black.
What kind of car wash do you use? I'm suggesting go to the touchless ones. Also, Obsidian black while "self-healing" will get very light swirls if you hand dry; you should only apply hand drying in one direction and use a good microfiber cloth.:)

·
Registered
'15 C400, Formerly '11 C350 - Formerly '08 C300
137 Posts
What kind of car wash do you use? I'm suggesting go to the touchless ones. Also, Obsidian black while "self-healing" will get very light swirls if you hand dry; you should only apply hand drying in one direction and use a good microfiber cloth.:)
Up until the scratches I was going to the ones that have the long strips - not sure what their called. Now I use a hose and wool mitts. I use clean microfiber for the final rub down but not always in one direction - thanks for the tip!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts